Why validate Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ms, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ms

ms MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2011
    FreeStyler posted in his thread "Not-genuine-after-KB971033-update-Read-this!" that once Windows 7 is activated, it is important to validate online.

Why is it important to validate online and not just ignore KB971033 altogether? Once validated online (I presume his link to Microsoft installs KB971033), doesn't that set up Microsoft to be re-checking your computer for the next 90 days?

Are there benefits here I am missing?

2. ms

ms MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2011
    Looks like there was another thread titled "Why is it important to Validate online?" which gives the answer that if I am validated and have never been flagged, then there is no reason to do this.

If I am mistaken let me know... Awesome site.

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Basically you partially answered your questions,

1. You need to validate online 'after' being flagged as non-genuine and fixing your system as described in "Not-genuine-after-KB971033-update-Read-this!"
    2. You need to have KB971033 installed to be able to download programs that require the validation control to be installed from MS download center.

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #4 x86, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I was under the impression that by just disabling ValidationTask & ValidationTaskDeadline does not affect your ability of still being capable of grabbing stuff the require validation directly from MS. I mean, those two commands simply disable the calling home task itself (i.e. removing it from schedule); you can still validate on demand / manually even with those two disabled :confused:

It won't restore it; it was a silly comment I made in first place. That would restore only corrupted / modified files :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...