why waste my time but putting one file within a .rar???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stayboogy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    something that bugs the piss out of me is that people will put one file in a .rar file and upload it for people to download when 1) it's not even compressed at all, it's the same exact size of the file that it contains, and 2) it's one stinking file, like one .exe or one picture, or one video, or one whatever.

why waste mine and everyone else's time with putting your stupid one file within an .rar??? this is beyond idiocy...

seriously this is freaking stupid. if you are uploading one file for someone don't waste their time by putting it in a .rar or .zip or whatever. only use .rar to 1) share one large file that has been compressed to a smaller more manageable size, 2) there are multiple files within a folder so they can be download at one time, or 3) you are compressing several large files down to a more manageable size to be downloaded.

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    LOL...that is nothing compared to winrar.exe being rar'ed and uploaded to torrent site, then people getting frustrated how to open it :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :dontgetit:You do realize that rar has a recovery record,? You can use rar just to store files, using the store option, and add a recovery record.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    Maybe they do it out of habit, because certain types of files for transfer through the filtered e-mail or transfer through the network.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, there are server settings which do not allow to download / upload executables.
    But you're mainly right. To rar a file is needed when using compression for a smaller file size and / or password protection of content...or to add an recovery record.

6. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm thinking of going to troll a friend with an useless txt in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar in a rar.

7. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    You might have one friend less very soon *grin* :p

8. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Going to find out soon, already did a few rar in rar but want more.. went to sleep xD