why win7 dvd doesnt boot on old hardware ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ailef, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    i tried to boot from win7dvd x86 on 2 old machines.
    first one is a mobo gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Rev 1.1) with athlonXP 2400+
    and the other is an ASUS P4C800 DELUXE with P4 2.8ghz
    on the gigabyte i receive a boot code error, like cdrom bootcode error 5 or something like that and on the asus it simple doesnt boot and boot on the HD or is telling me to insert a bootable media.
    i can install vista SP2 on both machines.
    what's the problem with windows 7 ???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. yesman

yesman MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Broken Windows 7 iso. I can boot and istall W7 on my old PC(Sempron2400, Asrock k7vt4apro,1GB).

3. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    impossible cause i installed it on other hardware with the same iso.
    that's strange...
    i'll check with another iso to be sure but the iso i used works.
    what i can do is upgrade from vista SP2 to windows 7 with the DVD , it works and vista upgrade fine to windows 7,
    but the win7 DVD never wants to boot on those 2 old machines, i don't understand...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Broken DVD player on your PC ?

5. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    ok now it's sure at 100%, i just tried to boot with my dell xpsM1330 and it just works fine so the iso is ok for sure.
    about the DVD-rom player, the prob is that i tested at least 5 differents DVD-rom players !!! i tried all things i can do and at the end what is sure is that windows 7 doesnt want to boot on those 2 old machines.

there's no prob with the iso, no prob with the dvd player....
    i installed succesfully vista sp2 on them instead of win7 cause it didnt want to boot so those machines are ok. vista sp2 installed fine, no error.
    maybe i need a new bios to boot on the windows 7 iso... but there's no new bios...
    i really dont know where is the problem:confused:

6. Vieyelt

Vieyelt MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    you can try to burn a cd iso with your prefered edition, maybe this trick can bypass the limitacion.

7. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I know this is highly improbable but some old DVD player where only capable of reading "DVD-R". Maybe you are trying to read a "DVD+R" with a "DVD-R only" DVD Player.

8. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Can you try to install it with an USB key instead of a DVD?

9. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    i used a recent nec dvd burner that is able to read dvd+rw
    and the vista sp2 was burnt on dvd+rw and i was able to boot on and install it.
    the only prob is when i try to boot on win7 dvd...
    maybe i can boot on usb stick on the asus P4C800 deluxe but on the gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Rev 1.1), it's not possible.

10. devans123

devans123 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    I had the same problem on one of my older computers, initially thought it was the DVD player, made no difference when I changed it for a known good one.
    I resolved the problem by extracting the Win7 iso to a folder
    (use PowerIso or WinRAR)
    Then using 'ImgBrn' I extracted a boot image from a Vista DVD
    Finally constructed (using ImgBrn) a new Win7 iso using the extracted files and boot image

Sounds longwinded but is very simple

11. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    ok thanks, i'm going to try that, seems a good idea :)

12. mote

mote MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Maybe it's DVD media issue, I've got the same P4C800 mobo with P4 3.0GHz, windows 7 installed with a DVD-R.

13. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    that's possible too but i sucessfully installed vista sp2 on those 2 computers on a dvd+rw,
    but i can try to burn windows 7 on a dvd-r to see if how it goes,
    anyway i'm going to use a bootable vista iso to create a windows 7 bootable iso, i think it can resolve the problem.
    i have to buy dvd-r as i use only RW :)
    hope it will help with those 2 possibilities.
    thanks for your help people.

14. Thboy

Thboy MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2009
    I had some experience with the same problem too. I burnt Windows 7 on 4 dvd-rs but they couldn't boot on my old machine. Then I tried these dvd-rs on 2 new machines it worked flawlessly. I have found the way to solve this problem. I tried to use a bootable vista iso to create a windows 7 bootable iso, using PowerISO program. It worked out fine and the problem's solved. :D

15. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    i created a windows 7 iso with the boot of vista, i'll go home today and will post feedback to check if the win7 iso is now bootable on my machines :)

16. Ruley

Ruley MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I had the same error, then i made a bootable usb and it worked

17. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    WTB a Google translator :rolleyes:

18. X64_Bit

X64_Bit MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Hello,

For my experience ... in 3 Dell GX620, impossible to install Windows 7 x64 :mad:

19. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009