why Windows 7 and not XP?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by natukiss, Aug 11, 2009.

1. natukiss

natukiss MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    7 takes much more RAM memory than XP

XP is much more faster than 7

so why everyone prefers 7?

2. fabsta

fabsta MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    lets just say windows xp is looking a bit "out-datted" and every wants a change and look of windows......

3. Machinest

Machinest MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Well I tried the 7 but I had to many issues with not shutting down, locking up and not booting.

So Im back to my ugly dated trusty XP.

Should a person load your mobo drivers after installing 7, even though there were no explanation marks in device manager?

4. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I am not sure on speed, xp runs slower on my pen m lappy than windows 7.

Vista just clogs along.

Anyone with xp, though i would not be recommending you upgrade, they both have there good points while vista sucks still after 2 service packs.

People like stuff thats new, and the jazzy interface, over something we have seen for years in xp.

Personally i could of stayed with xp, but 7 looks like what vista should of been.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I still install chipset drivers even though windows installs them while installing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. yesman

yesman MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    First of all Seven uses memory much better than XP so it doesn't matter how much ram is using.
    And Seven looks more than gorgeous. And by my opinion Seven works much better with notebooks than XP.

7. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #9 Lenmaer, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    I'll answer that differently, XP is dying, now you can still find drivers and softwares that works on it but it the future there'll be less manufacturers who'll continue to provide drivers for new products, less software and games that will support XP and DirectX 9.
    Also XP is 32 Bit, the future is 64 Bit. XP has memory limitations, 64 Bit OS not (at least not for a long time).

So you'll have to follow the move if you wanna continue to use new softs or play new games in the future.
    And now that there is so much hype with seven, this will accelerate. Windows 8 for example should only be available in 64 Bit, according microsoft.

8. Collo

Collo MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    Yes taking RAM is a good thing anyway, since any RAM that isn't being used is really just being wasted, a good OS should optimise and organise all the RAM.

9. mirkocosta

mirkocosta MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    -Hey why install windows xp since windows 9x/2k is faster?
    -Hey why install windows 7 since windows xp is faster?

...and the story goes on and on...

10. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    I still have Windows 1.02 if anyone wants it.
    Loads faster than any other OS.

11. jimmy2x2x

jimmy2x2x MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    for me, 7 is the perfect bridge between XP and Vista

All the speed of XP, all the new features of Vista and a whole lot more

These days 4gb (and upwards) of ram seems standard, 7 makes the best use of ram of any OS ive used - it always seems fast and responsive

You ever tried using XP X64? jesus...

It will always be up to date for the foreseeable future and offer support for new and emerging technologies

In short, its perfect for me

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    the benchmarks between XP and 7 are not that big to cry home about. You can say they are even, 7 beats XP on some things, XP beats 7 on other things. Overall the look and feel of both OSes show a more polished .1 release than the .0 release of their respective operating systems.

XP or 7? Unless you have something that NEEDS XP and you can't run XP mode or the program won't run in compatbility mode then go with XP, otherwise Windows 7.

13. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    For me personally Windows 7 feels much more snappy in areas than XP, even with all the effects and "gadgets". It's also got a few advantages which XP cant give me too, for example better directx support for my 8800 GT :p

I do quad boot though and still have my XP partition, it's just handy to keep around.

14. Wagnard

Wagnard MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    #16 Wagnard, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Windows 7 has more technologie advatange than XP.
    not to mention it is more visually apealling.
    For the technologie there is a lot.
    Example:
    1-in xp you cant put more than 2 videocard in crossfire or sli
    2- XP miss directx 10 and 11
    3- Windows 7 has better multiprocessor capability
    4- windows 7 manage memory better.
    5 Windows 7 has a better Kernel and microsoft has been able to remove some lock in it resulting of faster cpu processing in certain scenario.
    6-Gadget are cool :)

Of course windows 7 may require a bit more memory but hey were are going foward in the future not backward and since we have more features, it is just quite normal it eat more.
    But as long as it manage it correctly and doesnt leak, people should stop crying about memory eating.

15. Wagnard

Wagnard MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    I have a faster loading OS than that...
    Its called Microsoft DOS.

16. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009

for my both same or I may say win7 is much faster, I m using xp just bcz of three old software, otherwise I will always use win7. :p

17. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    :lol: :D very good wagnard :p

18. hapbt

hapbt MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2007
    efficiency

maybe you should run ms-dos then you can have all but 640k of your memory freed up and things will run really fast!
    you might even have to use a cpu-slowdown program to play your games like panga and flightmare