Wierd Printer issue ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by logicwatch, Jan 9, 2019.

1. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I have a strange issue with my HP Envy 5640 Printer
    its driving me crazy with the strangest fault I have ever come across with printers

This one is a real mystery ? So here goes !

I have the printer plugged in downstairs to a PC via usb all works fine. ( windows 10 version 1803 )

However I have recently purchased a new PC this week it is upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 ( oct new release )

Its upstairs in my study so its connected wirelessly and works on the internet perfectly.

The Printer I am afraid is another story driver software installed for wireless ok ( latest driver from HP

( en 5640 40.11.1135 )

Despite the printer being recognised ok set as default it just refuses to print anything

the print job strangely does not even move into the print queue just nothing happens ??!!

Have tried the following over the last few days and am ready to throw the printer into the bin !

reinstalled and removed printer several times

ran HP PRINT DOCTOR ( all says good no issues found )

deleted printer from network and re installed to router ( all says good )

rebooted router

ON all occasions all appears well printer is good to go but no print job ever prints as nothing moves to the print queue despite the print queue software running ( minus any job inside it )

So whats going on here could it be the new version of windows at fault here ( 1809 ) not compatible with the current driver ?

I am at a complete loss of what to try next ? I have posted help on HP forums but as yet nobody seems to be able to offer any fix ?

I am open to suggestions from any experts out there ?

thanks in advance

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Did you disable your antivirus or any other anti-malware software before you installed the drivers?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kevin Rosas

Kevin Rosas MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Start the problem solver of the system, there may be a problem regarding the installation. Delete programs from the printer and delete the device and open a view of the printer from the printer manager, now clean the temporary files with ccleaner free.
    Restart the computer and rerun the printer installer, when asked if you want to install and use the printer wirelessly choose.

4. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi thanks for the reply
    have looked at antivirus ( its windows defender with w10 1809 ) switch off and disabled firewall still no go
    print job never moves to print queue !! ??
    :(

5. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi thanks tried all the above no go
    suspect driver in compatible with new W10 1809 as
    print job never moves to print queue ??:(

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #6 MS_User, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    listen how u setup a wireless printer....delete printer from your machine and all the printer software....reboot computer now u are going to install the printer to your up stairs machine using the USB cable for the initial wireless setup once thats done u should be ok......remember u most set it up using the cable once your done u can remove the cable. your print jobs stay in print queue because is properly configure in your router.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #7 Joe C, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    The last time I installed a HP printer, The HP install software tells you to connect the usb to install the drivers and tells you when to disconnect for wireless operation....but that was with Windows 7, Windows 10 might be a different headache because Windows 10 might insist on it's own drivers and set up

Do you have any other printers that might be picking up the print queue?
    Or are you in an area where you could possibly be connecting to a different network/router other than your own

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Tamacun

Tamacun MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2015
    Have U try with upstair PC power off ?

9. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi everyone many thanks for all the possible solutions to my strange issue.
    I am guessing here the issue some how is related to the Windows 10 driver from HP in respect to wireless as I moved the printer upstairs and installed via usb and it printed fine.
    Further to strengthen the HP driver case as the issue I purchased a new Canon Wireless Printer.
    With the original configuration in place PC Downstairs on USB > PC upstairs connected wirelessly to router all works perfectly with the new Canon Printer instead of the HP one.
    So with a change of printer my original setup ( router / Wifi / cables / PC ) have not changed therefore it has to be the HP Printer driver as the problem.
    Would we all agree ?
    Thanks once again guys.
    :D

10. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Have you try contacting HP to let them know about the issue so they can update the driver.

11. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi yes I have been discussing the issue on the HP tech forums and told them my conclusions
    Somehow I feel they wont be rushing to update the driver
    we shall see ?

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Did you update the firmware?

13. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    firmware upgrade to printer still have same issue
    again as I stated previously it does not go to the printer queue after pressing print BUT ONLY when wireless if USB connected it works perfectly.
    The printer is showing connected when set wirelessly but never enters into a print queue.
    Strongly suspect driver issue with W10 1809
    I will test shortly on W10 1803 then we shall have our answer ?
    :dunno:

14. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    now that I look at this more closely.

a stuck print queue is the Kernel. so only Win certified people even know anything about that. I do not.

15. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi it is not a stuck queue because the print job never enters the queue process to start !
    :confused:

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It may be going into queue, but not the queue for that printer. I've seen some printers default to the fax queue, or a different printer (if there is one)

17. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    @logicwatch Just to confirm can you see anything in C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS (normaly 2 files) when printing?

18. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    login to your router and check wireless config key etc... maybe it helps.

19. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive had to reset printer defaults and the modem too then reconnect via WPS or key input usually worked.

second pc works ok on wifi print?

20. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    yes 2nd PC ok on wifi
    the difference is 1803 vs 1809