wife loves her hp

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by furnaceoperater, Aug 27, 2011.

1. furnaceoperater

furnaceoperater MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2011
    not sure im posting in the rite place so excuse me if im not. i deffantlly have a promblem wifes computer hp pravilion dual core processor windows vista, 1 gb ram its in the repair shop so not sure on the rest anyways i did a windows update windows vista service pack 2 seemed ok until the next day wife goes to use it it wont do anything i told her to reboot we get the blue screen of death. so after trying to run the recovery disk which took disk one told me to put in disk 2 went to 1 percent an sat there i stopped it now i really had it messed up. long story short computer tech is telling me it mite be a bad processor could it be hes rite or could it be he doesnt know how to fix it either. long question i apologize anyway on another site i found where i could download mini lennox hope i spelled that rite an put the disk in wifes machine seemed to run it fine but i have no idea how to run mini lennox wifes not happy as as we all know when wifes not happy neither are we any sugestions would be much apreciated.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Be very surprised if it is the processor. Most likely a corrupt file(s) or maybe HDD is getting ready to puke. Live CD of linux does not use HDD. Maybe check with a HDD utility from manufacturer or chkdsk??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    That's probably it. Or unless they already know the actual cause, fixed it and thought it would be a good idea for you to purchase something extra. I can't be certain here; I am only making assumptions. But I can't see how the CPU has anything to do with it. Only thing relating to that is the unlikely scenario that CPU fan/cooling has died out and causes it to overheat. When you get the BSOD was the computer already running for quite a while before or is it from a 'cold start' :confused:

Other than that it could either be the recovery disc as acrsn suggested or a system software issue i.e. last update didn't worked as planned, driver, malware (anything really...)

So true :rotflmao:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. furnaceoperater

furnaceoperater MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2011
    tech got back with me said the hard drive had a clich but he got it up an running supose to pick it up monday thanks for reponding to my post

5. sh00reg

sh00reg MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2011
    In HP's there are usually built-in BIOS tests for memory and hard drive. If HDD is failing a BIOS test, then it should be replaced (if machine is in warranty) - that's official HP position.
    Be careful - some of these tests may be destructive(if so, test will ask you to agree or not).

6. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    #6 NCS, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    thats topical for for that laptop on vista...I have the same laptop and I put win 7 home premium on it and it works great. I'm running 2 gig mem with a 2.0ghz processor.

Just wanted to remind U that at boot up there is a diagnostic test U can run that will tell U what is wrong.

when I bought mine the hard drive was out and i put a new one in it. they are cheap and easy to install.

7. christian666

christian666 MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I would advise you to make a backup of your computer documents, since the clich on your hard drive(HD) could be an early sign that your HD is about to die.
    Also you should be able to make a digital copy of your backup DVD for your comp by dripping them into a ISO file and then you could burn them again on a different dvd when you required them.

I hope this helps you