Wifi device keeps disconnecting during gaming

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bobmanuk, Mar 22, 2013.

1. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi all,

I seem to be having an issue with my wireless device and it only seems to be happening when i play games.

I can use my pc all day every day but about 5-10 minutes into a game, it will reboot.

USB port and operating system dont seem to make a difference so the only thing i can surmise is that it is the wireless device itself.

when i play a game, the connection will usually slow to a crawl, then disconnect, scanning for a network does nothing, it appears to have removed the device from windows, the strange thing is that the device still registers in device manager, make a change to any of the settings for the device, and bang the wifi kicks back in again and auto reconnects to my home network, but try to game again and it will disappear before too long.

I havent much money, so a new wifi card isnt an option right now, also my pc is not in the same room as my router, so cat5 cable isnt an option either.

if anyone has any suggestions, or any tools to help with monitoring it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    What OS are you running? What is the wifi device? Is the power saving feature if it has one disabled, or set to max performance? Could be something as simple as drives need updated to firewall/router etc. More info on your specs would be helpful.

3. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    Tried OS' are

Windows 8,
    Windows 7,
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista x64

My Specs are
    GA-M68M-S2P motherboard,
    AMD Phenom x3 8850B 2.5GHz
    4gb generic RAM
    500GB hdd (seagate and samsung used both)

the wireless device is called Azurewave GU-210 (RTL8187 chipset)

I have tried the drivers from windows update (on all OS') and the official drivers, but only windows Vista will accept the Realtek Wlan application, which is what i am testing now.

all systems are updated, service packs, additional updated etc.

tried with and without antivirus, no difference.

sorry should have mentioned this in the first place.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    i wouldnt say its the ISP, it happens with any game i play, though i did have star wars the old republic on recently for over an hour and no disconnect, so it must be the realtek software doing something right.

and the reason im using vista is because the application refuses to install on quite a few OS', why it wont install on XP is a mystery as that is one of the OS' its supposed to support.... regardless, if i have any more issues i will update this.

Bob

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Are all your installations x64? Also, under windows 7 have you tried to install the drivers in Vista compatibility mode? It seems there are issues with this particular adapter with x64. Depending on your router, you could attempt to use DHCP Reservation or maybe even attempt to go into IPv4 settings of the adapter and set a static up address given by the router (e.g. 192.168.1.XX where XX would be the address given to the computer by the router, like 192.168.1.10) and gateway (usually 192.168.1.1) and see how that goes. According to the manual the static up and gateway should be the same IP however.

After looking at the manual for this adapter and checking the website, I would say more likely than not it's support is limited if none. Google shows a few "dropped connections" as well, but unresolved atm. I suspect driver issues personally.

7. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    To eliminate other factors I would still connect via a ethernet cable to the router just for testing purposes then at least then you will know if the wifi is definitely the issue or not if the fault occurs within 5-10mins into a game this will give you an answer quickly ?? ;)

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
  9. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    7,8 and vista are 64bit installs, xp wasnt, im not sure how much good setting static IP's would have done, but other machines, wifi and wired play ok and they run dhcp. its the fact the hardware sort of half way disappears, still, like i said, the realtek application seems to be doing something with its own drivers on vista and as far as the past few hours of gaming are concerned, are pretty stable.

and yes that is the wifi device though mine didnt come packaged like that, oh the horribly molded white plastic :p

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    lol, well glad you got something hopefully working. If all else fails you can always eat a pizza off the keyboard :pizza:

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Pizza...Yummmmm

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  13. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    tried swtor on low, same, though its an ATi HD 7770 doesnt feel too hot, though if thats the case ill have to reconsider my air flow i guess.
    bios is the latest F5, this is updated through @BIOS the website doesnt even list F5
    i used that driver too, just caused windows to bsod, had to safe mode and uninstall the driver.

I know the app isnt required, it DOES work without it using widnows wireless zero config (or whatever its called), but stops when games are played. I only tried it as a last resort before buying another wireless card when i get paid next week, but seeing as its working ok now, i shall see how it goes.

as of 1am this morning the wireless was still up after several hours. havent gamed at all this morning, we shall see.

14. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    It could be your WiFi router that got restarted during online gaming.. When ever this happen again check you Router too...

15. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    i play with my partner on another pc too.... that sounds filthy :hug2:

i mean they are also on swtor too, that doesnt drop, my netbook may be downloading/playing something on the internet and thats never been affected.

16. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    i could go for some pizza right now... it is 10:30am for me though so... cold pizza?!?

17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @bob: Been there...done that. :)