WiFi Help!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Deleted member 185298, Mar 23, 2011.

I had no idea where to post this so i just posted it here :) Forgive me admins ;)

Please somebody help me this is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically my virgin media internet crashed like 2 weeks ago and ever since they fixed the problem and my pc's internet is back to lightening fast but my wifi has F********************** UP. It only works if you use your corresponding wireless device right next to the router. I have reset it but to no avail. If i'm next to it it's fine but if i go downstairs - 1 bar connection, sometimes doesnt even show up. I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP) protection. Yes i have tried changing the password, to no avail.

Could anyone shed some light on the subject? I don't know what else to do :confused::confused::confused::confused: :ill:

I swear if anyone dares to even SAY the words "POWER CYCLE" then i will shove a pistol down my throat and shoot myself. It is a stupid solution which i find never works. PLZZZ HEELLPPPPPPPP!!!!!

1. adacom

adacom MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2011
    are you using the new super hub or what ever BY call it - google says it is crap - well if not crap not good - but check a few settings on the WiFi - you have obviously?? powered down a few times and may have done a reset of the router - go through all the WiFi settings on the router - is it set to UK - what channel - try different ones - what mode again try different ones

if non ot that works get BY involved

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Please post router specifications, then maybe we can offer some help.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. #4 Deleted member 185298, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    (OP)
    My router is a Netgear Wireless N150 Router WNR1000v2 with firmware version V1.1.2.28 and GUI language version V1.0.0.67. It was not supplied by Virgin, it was bought from Amazon for around 50 quid. And yes, ALL my wifi devices have problems now. I've tried it with my PSP, my HP G62 laptop, and a freinds iPhone and to no avail.

EDIT: I just installed a new firmware update from Netgear. I hope this fixes the problem :)

4. Nope, it hasn't fixed the problem :(

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Under Wi-Fi settings , which mode do you have selected ? Are your other devices "N" compatible ? I suspect it could just be a case of setting the correct mode and choosing a different channel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. :(

Tried the security suggestion, didn't work :( I'm going to try and contact Netgear and see if there is maybe like a software update coming that fixes this issue or something, as it was working fine before.

7. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Low signal levels describe a problem with the radio signal, transmission or reception. Obstacles cause low signal levels and interference causes problems too. assuming the router is not defective or the antenna(s)/coax you have an interference or obstacle issue.

Try placing the router in a different place in the home, try netstumbler or other site survey tool, try different channels and finally try a different client and if possible different AP.

In a 2 story home the dipole antennas pattern won't penetrate well if you have obstacles blocking the signal. In two story homes I use a single high gain omni with an electrical downtilt of at least 3-5 degrees depending the height and gain and coverage you need and mount it on the roof, attic or upstairs room.

8. Yes!!!1

I put on top of a shelf and it worked. It was just a placement issue i guess, woder why it was working fine before though, thanks everyone!

9. freemyggle

freemyggle MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Though I am a newbie to this forum and also to computer tech in general, I'd like to suggest staying away from using WEP encryption on routers as that is easily penetrated by prying eyes. WPA/WPA2 is also penetrable, but that require far more advanced technologies and a pretty extensive word dictionary to tackle. YouTube is literally flooded with tutorials for cracking either encryptions, but from private research over the past 4 months, WPA/WPA2 proves to far more secure than WEP.

My 2 cents...