Wiindows 8 Memory Leak LSASS.EXE growing memory usage until Crash when lan sharing

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by phrunt, Dec 25, 2012.

1. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    #1 phrunt, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    On my Windows 8 PC I use to share movies over my local network my lsass.exe keeps growing and growing when another pc on my lan accesses it to watch movies. The more movies/tv you watch shared over the network the bigger the lsass.exe process takes up ram until eventually the machine just goes so slow I have to power it off and on, it runs for about 2 days until I am forced to reboot because of this memory leak, the ram thats consumed is never returned. I've done some google research and it seems I'm not the only one with the problem but nobody has found a working solution yet.

Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Thanks

-resolved problem

I found the issue was resolved for me by working out which machines caused the issue, it turns out it was my media center pc causing my movie storage machine to leak its lsass.exe until I was forced to reboot as the machine was just too slow. So I disabled QOS on the network adapter in the network properties on that media center machine and problem solved. No longer does my movie sharing machine leak ram.

2. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    -- A further update - QOS does solve it combined with changing drivers, I thought I was doing the right thing updating the built in Microsoft default drivers for my network cards to the manufacturers latest drivers, this wasn't the case and was casing lsass.exe to leak the ram. Changed back to default Microsoft drivers with QOS unticked and I'm fine, it seems to happen using Win7 drivers on Atheros wireless and wired network interfaces along with older Intel Wireless Cards

3. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    this is interesting mate, this is what is happening to me until I was forced to reintstall windows 8.
    thank you