WikiLeaks releases Manual for Linux Implant "Aeris"

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Mr.X, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    I don't get it.... planting binaries OK ... but how do they run without root access?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Interesting stuff... However, I don't think that most of us are affected, since "Aeris" targets Debian 7 based distributions, along with some others. I use Linux Mint 18.2, based on Debian stretch/sid - that is Debian 9...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    It's important to read the comments at the bottom of the page. The posters there are reiterating the same words as the posts here.

The best reply was the last post over there.

"It didn't work 20 years ago. Why would it work now?"

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It seems WikiLeaks has no more real stuff worth to leak and tries to attract attention anyway.
    Aeris is a part of project Imperial and quite outdated already. There is no details about an exploit / vulnerability and info HOW to infect the target.

For me it's just like a brief manual of an application which can perform some communications once it's locally installed.

Things would change if 'other hackers' would pick up the sources and use them to make recent malware out of it just some did with wannacry from the EternalBlue project.

But the big difference is there is no word about getting benefit of a vulnerability.

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Sad but true. There will come a time when they will have no credibility at all, and become nothing but a click-bait site.

7. phijordz

phijordz MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2013
    And what then is an implant, is it a virus or a rootkit? How does it behave or what will be the symptoms of an infected unit?

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #8 Superfly, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Anything written in C has to be compiled (i.e. binary)... any binary has to be initiated by the OS... any initiation has to be through root ... any root requirement has to be by the user (password)

I can't see how this can be automated to send data across a network...without user ignorance (i.e willingly running it).

PS: to answer your question...
    No, it's not a virus or rootkit... it's a "listener" which sends (like in steals) info to a server.. it's just there are uninformed/sensationalist sites comparing it (due to WannaCry)

9. phijordz

phijordz MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2013
    So that's just what it is. Thanks .

Now I can continue reading the other interesting long threads in this MDL forums, with my linux box relieve of paranoia !

10. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    So it's not totally worthless.

11. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yes it is... please tell me how this will become a WannaCry? given the differences between Admin (an inheritance from Trusted Installer) and Root

12. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    This may not become a WannaCry. And actually I meant the leaks of WikiLeaks.