Will Back up Data Work On Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TECHNOMAN, Oct 13, 2013.

1. TECHNOMAN

TECHNOMAN MDL Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Hi,
    Just wondering that if a user as windows 8 pro activated On-line with genuine key & back up the activation data

Then adds their free WMC & activates on-line & also backs up that activation

If the user then does a clean install of windows 8.1 the restores the activation from the data of win 8 pro then does the same with Wmc key

Would the user end up with Windows 8.1 Pro +Wmc Fully Activated

Without the need to use phone activation as I`m sure they would be no problems with the data from the windows 8 pro its the Wmc key that causes activation issues

But I Google this & some site suggest you can activate one of the free offer Wmc key without using phone activation

Can someone explain this method

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    It depends on how did you get the free WMC key:

- If it's your private key, and reinstall it on the same machine, it should activate on-line by itself, however: because you might have formatted the drive and changed Vol SN, you might lose 4 votes and need to make a phone activation.

- If it's not your own key, and chances are that the key is already blocked by MS, you need to pray that you have not lose 4 votes, then restoration of spp files will still work and you can get back activation.

Discussions on device hash check and votes:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...eep-Everything?p=817362&viewfull=1#post817362

:D

4. TECHNOMAN

TECHNOMAN MDL Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Hi Faikee

Both keys are mine own I have a genuine Windows 8 pro key Activation Backup & a free WMC Key Also Backup

I have previously wipe my system & re-install windows 8 using a general installation key then used the following for activation.
    Windows 8 users who noticed that the operating system can’t be activated after the installation may want to try the following workaround that worked to activate when installing Windows 8 using an upgrade on a clean PC.
    •Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
    •Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
    •Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
    •Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
    •Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
    •Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
    •Reboot Windows now.
    •Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.

Then input my free Wmc to add features re-boot & its activated

But I read somewhere that windows 8.1 accepts a genuine windows 8 key ok & activates online
    But when you use the Wmc key to add features you re-boot & the user is not activated

Then the user as to use phone activation to get it to activated (is that true) so I end up with a windows 8.1 pro +Wmc activated

I know I could wait & should be offer windows 8.1 via windows store as a a upgrade for free which I assume would keep my activation intact

But I`ve been away from this site due to a car accident & only just started using my pc again & my daughter as use it while I was in hospital so its a little mess up & I think when windows 8.1 comes out ( which I Was unaware Off)its time for me to fix my system with a clean install
    But I`m worried about my activation

Ps; I always format my drive before I do a clean install & I never had any problem before activating Windows 8 pro & then adding WMC Key & again activating on-line

But it worries me that my Wmc Key might not activate its the same machine same hardware no changes , Because my neighbour try phone activation & when he press a key on his Skype keypad it said no key had been press he try around ten times still no joy so what causes that issue

Sorry if its a bit long winded But I`m still recovering
    Hope you understand