Will extracting a current BIOS, mod, then flash work?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Skram0, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Skram0

Skram0 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    I have an eMachines T3882 (designed for XP) with an Intel board. The current BIOS is BF86510A.15A.0085.P20.0412152353.
    I can't find any pre-modded BIOSs, and there are no BIOS updates from eMachines either. There is one from Intel, but slightly different and doesn't work. Someone had forced that BIOS update but his fans are on full all the time, don't want that.

Is it possible to use the Universal BIOS Extractor to backup the current BIOS, mod it, then flash it back?

I have already used the extractor to backup the BIOS and used AMITool to mod it. Now it's just a matter of flashing it back. I have an iflash.exe utility found with another similar motherboard. Could I use that to flash the BIOS back?

My only concern, of course, is bricking my board this way. The original BIOS files for the similar board are .BIO extension and slightly larger, but the BIOS Extractor created a .ROM file. Does that make a difference?

2. Skram0

Skram0 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Bingo gas station motel cheeseburger!! I got it.

What I did was:
    -Extract/backup the BIOS to .ROM using the Universal BIOS Extractor.
    -Modified the .ROM using AMItool.
    -Used Intel2AMI to extract a .ROM out of a similar .BIO file, then inject the modded .ROM into it creating a new .BIO file.
    -Removed the BIOS recovery jumper on the motherboard and copied the .BIO to a floppy and renamed it to AMIBOOT.BIO.
    -Flashed the .BIO to the motherboard using the BIOS recovery method.
    -Restored the BIOS jumper and enjoyed my modded BIOS.

Thanks to everyone for all your input. Peace out!