Will I Have Problems with W7 *Migration* Image to UEFI?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zepp, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #1 Zepp, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Hi... am setting up a new computer for a friend, an ASUS P2520 notebook which is UEFI and comes with W7 64 Professional. Only I am removing the factory drive and installing a new 1TB drive (and converting to MBR), and will be migrating a backup image of her existing system to that drive, which is W7 64 Ultimate (from an MBR drive). She has been using this system for a few years and it has all her programs and data, so we do NOT want to start from scratch with a new copy of W7 (like the one it comes with). The backup image I will be migrating is from a laptop that is not UEFI.

I am aware of having to inject drivers to get it to boot on the new hardware and have migrated images across hardware many times, so that's not my concern.

My concern is I have never worked with UEFI and don't know if migration won't work since it's coming from a BIOS laptop? I assume as long as CSM is enabled in UEFI it should be okay?

It will already have a SLIC in the UEFI?/BIOS for W7, so I assume I just need to find the matching ASUS cert and install that. Then re-install the OEM SLIP key for W7U.

Does the SLIC DUMP tool work on UEFI systems? Is there anything special I need to do? TIA for any guidance!

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    clone partition to gpt uefi then repair boot with usb win 7 x64 UEFI booted.
    trying to inject drivers and bsod central!
    best is to fresh install and reinstall programs but copy the c:\programdata and %appdata% first from old.

or you could try something like pcmover and only pick specific programs.

3. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. The backup will be an image, not clone, if that makes a diff. And it's imaged from an MBR drive. So an MBR image is best migrated to an MBR drive, no? Plus she wants both her machines to have MBR so there isn't an issue if she has to migrate between them in the future. One is sort of a backup machine to the other. I do the same with my 2 laptops...and have since circa 2008.

I've never had an issue and have done several migrations over the years between various machines. Does UEFI make a diff??

I boot from USB Macrium Reflect rescue media; restore a BU image from external drive to new machine; shut down and boot to USB Paragon HD Mgr... it detects the OS and injects the drivers to make it bootable on the new hardware, then repairs the MBR (as I will convert the new drive to MBR before starting)... then the machine boots fine and I go to the manuf website and install video/audio/chipset/etc drivers. I've never had a hiccup. (It breaks windows but just have to reinstall the cert and SLIP key.)

The whole purpose of migration is to avoid the hell that is starting from scratch. :D That's exactly why I migrate.

I will look into the Win tool you mentioned above. Thanks!

4. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #4 Zepp, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    (OP)
    Just FTR nothing special needed doing. Installed the new 1TB drive which I converted to MBR beforehand, booted from Macrium Rescue USB and migrated the W7 system over by restoring a Macrium Reflect BU to the new machine (which was an MBR image)... booted from USB Paragon HD Mgr and had it inject drivers and auto-repair the MBR... then booted from the new machine and installed the proprietary hardware drivers from ASUS. Happy to say, there were no extra steps due to UEFI (doing it this way at least with MBR). And as usual, no BSODs or problems. Beats the heck out of building a system from scratch. :D