Will Microsoft reconsider support for Ryzen 3 1200AF and Ryzen 5 1600AF?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by ksio89, Jul 12, 2021.

1. ksio89

ksio89 MDL Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Do you guys think Microsoft will add support for 1200AF and 1600AF Ryzen processors, as they are Zen+ chips despite having CPUID of 1st gen Ryzen (Zen), or they won't give a f... about it? I ask that because MS is trying really hard to make Windows 11 adoption be as little as that of Vista, leaving a lot of capable machines behind while supporting computers with anemic processors like Celeron, Pentium and Athlon models.

If Microsoft does not reconsider, it will leave a really, really bad taste in the owners of these chips like me. Not being able to upgrade through official means just because these CPUs processors report themselves as an unsupported ones, and MS didn't bother to add an exception for both chips, sucks hard.

2. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Those cpu's are outside the requirements for Windows 11 WHQL logo. Doesn't mean that it won't work. It just means that it's sub-optimal for a full windows 11 experience.

3. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    First:
    As today W11 works on any AMD64 machine, this may change but personally I doubt that MS will enforce this at OS level.
    They just want that the less informed users (which are the vast majority) are convinced to replace their PCs

Second:

Win 10 LTSB 2016 will be supported until 2026, LTSB2019 will be supported until 2029, LTSB 2022 will be supported until 2027/2028 so no one is forcing you to upgrade to W11 for almost a decade.
    9 years is an era in term of IT things.

Third:

You'll be surprised by what an "anemic" dual core Athlon64 from 15 years ago can do today, if provided with sufficient ram and a SSD.
    I'm writing this from an XP era Turion X2 machine on Win 11 while VMware is running a couple of VMs
    I think a first gen ZEN CPU will suffice as well :D

4. ksio89

ksio89 MDL Member

Nov 20, 2013
    1st) I agree with you, Microsoft wants to sell Windows licenses and OEMs want to sell new computers and TPM modules, so it's a win win situation for both parties.

2nd) Never said I was being forced to upgrade to Windows 11, I'm just complaining that not being able to upgrade because Microsoft buggy app just checks the CPUID string instead of the actual architecture is lame. I used WhyNotWin11 to check compatibility and there's a "?" on CPU, but I read reports in AMD subreddit that 1600AF is compatible with PC Health Check app, I just can't confirm myself because Microsoft removed the utility from its website because it was buggy as hell.

3rd) if a 15-year CPU is able to run Windows 11 fine, then there's no reason for much more recent and capable processors such as 1st gen Ryzen and 7th gen Intel not as well, the cutoff line seems very arbitrary.

5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #5 acer-5100, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021

The official (but IMO half backed) news is that ZEN 1 CPUs are not supported.

They also said they may reconsider the decision on such recent CPUs, after the rage shared by the owners, we will see

There are few cases where the word "arbitrary" is well placed like here.

Perhaps even Apple (which is the sole vendor of the Mac HW) has a long history of arbitrary limitations on their MacOS releases, ad even there it's easy to install newer OS on older Macs.

I really find hard to think that MS can do something worse than Apple

6. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah they did what MS did in 2011 when released some new servers flavors all sharing the same base

SmallBusinessServer2011,WindowsHomeServer2011,MultipointServer2011 and StorageServerEssentials2008R2 o_O

7. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    The problem is, Microsoft can't declare a CPU as supported while even its manufacturer stopped supporting it!

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Where did you read that AMD stopped supporting ZEN1 CPUs

The CPU mentioned by the OP is still on sale (and restocked) on many eShops, I doubt AMD considers it as not supported.

9. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    #12 Jaffar, Jul 13, 2021
    Microsoft is now speaking about the possibility of supporting ZEN 1 and 7th gen intel

But in general

I can't blame Microsoft if it (officially) blocked me from installing Windows 11 on my 6 years old system

I bought my PC from DELL in 2015 before Windows 10 official release and I remember them releasing bios and drivers updates that support Windows 10, But now my System is not supported by DELL anymore! It's possible to run Windows 11 in July 2021 on my PC but who knows what will happen after one or two years if they add new features and if I have outdated drivers and bios that can't support them?

Microsoft (officially) announced that it will stop supporting older CPUs to evade responsibility if we encounter problems after installing Windows 11 ,but so far there is no evidence that they will force the block.

Yes their announcement was directed towards non-tech people to force them to buy new PCs because not everyone will visit mydigitallife to solve their Windows 11 problems on their old PCs and instead of that they will flood Microsoft support centers with calls and curses like what happened when they opened the gate for everyone to install Windows Vista on any PC.

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Reasonable official reasons, but far from be the truth or at least they are just part of the story.

It's just like when EURO 2/3/4 cars are blocked.

The official and noble, reason is decrease the pollution, the real one is selling more cars, keeping the economy afloat and forcing people to replace their perfectly working cars.

I wrote that above

Rotten form of capitalism is with us since so much that screwed people got used to find normal to defend who screw them, just a general trend

I don't care if 6 years are a lot of time or not. I care of how fast/slow that OS runs on my HW. That's all.

Security is just a petty excuse

If I'm, supposedly, safe using W10 ( a system is still on sale, and that will be supported for almost a decade), Its successor must be at least as safe on a definite machine.

Requirements of an OS shouldn't change over its life just like on any other product / service.

We all know that isn't the case because security patches can slow down things, but that must stay in reasonable limits (say 10/20% of slowdown over 5years).

Adding purposely new, heavier, features to slowdown the system, is changing the rules of the game during the match, not that different than the timed downclock on iPhones, something that the antitrust authorities should control seriously

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    They always test ~2 years previous to release of new OS for hardware official support. Of course previous hardware will work, but whether or not old motherboards update drivers for Windows 11 is up for grabs. It really depends how much the customers pester them and how much support they claim to offer.

12. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    #15 Jaffar, Jul 13, 2021
    It's not always about the new security features in Windows 11, They will also add useful features that need support from CPU and motherboard manufactures like for example the new "Windows driver model".

And adding useful features that can't be supported by older hardware isn't a conspiracy to force us to buy unnecessary new hardware ,Because in the end we must adapt to the rapid technological development or keep using outdated technology forever just because it's still working .

13. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #16 acer-5100, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    So tell me what willI miss (assuming something noticeable) If I proceed with the install/update so simple

Or maybe we could be more careful when choosing the politicians that are where they are also to control the big tech....

14. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    #17 Jaffar, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    If you bought a PC in 2016 that (officially) can't run Windows 11 but can run Windows 10 it will be 9 years old in 2025, Do you really want to use an ancient PC even after it's 9th year birthday as a daily driver and not as a Laboratory rat for Linux and other experiments? And what about me? Will I use my ancient PC from 2015 even after its 10th year birthday as a daily driver and miss the opportunity to enjoy the higher performance and the newer technology of the newer PCs? Think about it.

15. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    The EOL for the 7700K is October 9th, 2020.

Compare a 7700K based system paired with the parts available on October 9th, 2020 to the min spec Intel or AMD system officially supporting Windows 11.

This is not about "Windows 11 might perform poorly on unsupported platforms". This is about control. Sure, some of the security issues addressed with a fully supported system 'might' help in a corporate environment but for the average Joe/Jane, you wont ever notice a difference.

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I typed a few replies and just ended up deleting them. I think bolding this so people can reread it a few times probably the better move.

17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    You do realize that you can upgrade things like monitors, storage, RAM and GFX cards, right?

So yes, there is literally no reason to ditch a 2016 PC to get a new motherboard and CPU if upgrades are far cheaper and allow you to use the PC exactly the same way you always have.

If you watch youtube, screw around on social media and do some light gaming (literally 90% of users), what does the user get out of a new Windows 11 PC other than spending $ on the system and time installing your apps/games it and configuring it?