Will MS provide 8.1 software free update iso to 8.0 owners?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FattysGoneWild, Oct 16, 2013.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    They might, but if not, you should have enough info to find one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Yesterday i decided to do a complete fresh install of 8.1.. added the ei.cfg so i didnt need to use the install key.. after the first boot windows comes up with a black screen saying now is the time to add a serial .. put my upgrade key in it accepted and activated with no issues.. so yes it appears you can upgrade for nothing and do a clean install ;)

4. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Guys if u all runnin genuine u will all be fine for the upgrade and u guys with OEM.DM bios will be fine for the upgrade too!! Don't worry :)

5. sean70

sean70 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2011
    I'm going to wait till Thursday and see how it works. If I can clean install via the store I will , If its just an upgrade I will download the official ISO on Friday.
    The thread you linked is more about Windows 8 Activation issues I had with keys getting mixed up and the ei.cfg file ;)

The update is Free to genuine Windows 8 users and will be sold as a stand alone OS as Windows 8.1.

6. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    For the win8.1 preview, when people upgraded from Store, it downloads the whole esd file, then proceed to upgrade win8 - so what people did was to "hi-jack" the esd by suspending the process and copy the esd to somewhere else, after that, you can simply replace the wim by the esd in a win8 or 8.1 install ISO.

Maybe the process would be the same for the win8.1 GA upgrade. :D