Will MSE update support be there???

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Deb_Rider, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    After 8th April, I mean when Microsoft stops all the supports for XP, can Microsoft Security Essentials be updated online after that?
    One of my friend got a laptop which can't run more than windows XP, not windows 7 either. He can't effort a new laptop right now. So, if he uses MSE, will he be able to update that??

Thank you.. :)

2. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Yes, MS will still provide definition updates for MSE until July 2015! It's only the Installers that will stop working after April 8th.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    From what I understand is that if you have MSE already on your computer they will update it automatically as always. But after Apr 8 XP users will not be able to download MSE the program any more. So download the latest program now and save it.

4. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Thank you guys... This is exactly what I wanted to know...:)

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    DefenseWall Personal Firewall 3.23

I do recommend this HIPS program to armor your XP against zero days exploits, etc. Don't miss it and give it a try. MSE is nothing compared to this program.

6. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    I feel sorry for those who are unable to upgrade from XP, what a shame. It will be interesting, but not pleasant, to see how fast and how many XP boxes go down when unprotected exploits begin to emerge.

7. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I don't think there will be a sudden rush of attacks / new exploits ... I mean we don't see new attacks targeted at Win95 / Win98 any more. The hackers are all targeting the new OS's - so Win7/8 will probably have more exploits developed. Those on WinXP will probably end up been better off !!!! :D

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    The point is that hackers target only OS with some base. If win xp share goes does substantially, they will not be bothered to develop malware/attacks for XP. Reason for perhaps low hacker attention on win 95/98.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...