Will my rig be genuinely activated again after re-installation ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vn_mnm, Oct 3, 2015.

1. vn_mnm

vn_mnm MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    Hi everyone, my rig is DIY, so it started out with no OS. I decided to buy a Dell CoA label of Windows 7 SP1 Professional along with a Dell installation iso file of Windows 7 SP1 Pro from an Amazon seller. Of course, the key on the label and the installation image worked so that I got to this rig to Windows 10 Pro for free. However, I have some concerns about this installation :

_Firstly, there are some certain driver tweaks from Dell in the Win 7 iso file. My hard disks are : Crucial MX100 256gb SSD, and a Western Digital Black 1tb. Both use SATA-3 interface, but due to Dell's tweaks, they become 'SCSI disk devices'. The problem persists in Windows 10 ! (Fig. 1)

Untitled.jpg
    Fig. 1

_Secondly, my rig uses an ASUS Z87 Pro mobo. Despite my system information screen showing the rig is 'made' by Dell (Fig. 2), my rig is still recognised to be manufactured by ASUS by the website windows.com (I log into my rig using a M$FT account) (Fig.3)

Untitled_2.jpg
    Fig. 2

Untitled_3.jpg
    Fig.3

Given the 2 concerns above, in case of me changing the disk drives, GPU, or even re-install Windows 10 Pro retail version created by Media Creation Tool from M$FT website, will my rig still be automatically and genuinely activated online after that ?

Please help me, thank you very much to anyone helping me out.

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #3 odiebugs1, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Dell didn't tweak any of the drivers, you either have the SSD and HDD plugged into the wrong port or you have the wrong driver, also go into UEFI/BIOS and go to advanced tab and make sure Sata Mode is AHCI.

You have to make sure the SSD is plugged into the Yellow port not the black, and not the one closer to the board, the one on top of that.

You can use the driver for Sata that is AHCI from Intel instead of the Microsoft driver, it's on the Asus site -IRST_V14.5.0.1081_WHQL

Can you post a pic of device MGR with the storage controllers expanded and with System devices expanded.

If you find that in the UEFI/BIOS Sata is not set to AHCI, I suggest you leave it, then allow win 10 to activate, then start a clean install.

You should set AHCI in the UEFI/BIOS, and then you should secure erase the SSD and then start to clean install win 10.

**** On : 03/10/2015 your SSD received a firmware update, you should make sure you have this firmware.

P.S. Crucial does not give you a secure erase tool, so before you start the clean install, open the drive with properties and go to tools, then click the optimize tab, make sure you see SSD and that the SSD is not listed as a HDD and click on optimize.

If your SSD is listed as a HDD, you wil need to open CMD as admin and run ' Winsat diskformal " reboot , now go back to the optimize page and it should be listed as solid state.

4. vn_mnm

vn_mnm MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    #4 vn_mnm, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks for being helpful and detailing me with so much information. But in summary, given the current situation of my rig as in the original post, will my rig still be automatically and genuinely activated online after having re-installed Windows 10 Pro Retail using the MediaCreationTool from M$FT website ?

5. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    no you have to start from 7 up again. had to do it with 8 several times.

6. vn_mnm

vn_mnm MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    Thanks again m8. So that means if I ever re-install Windows 10 Pro Retail created by Media Creation Tool from M$FT, I shall be able to retain its genuine activation right :clap: ?

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Yes. You have a genuine 7, so even if you change the HDD, or GPU and have a problem clean installing, you can just contact MS and tell them your HDD, or GPU died and it's a replacement.