Will the cd drive show up in windows explorer in the absence of any cd/dvd

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jraju, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, In xp os the cd drive will be showing even when there is no cd or dvd. Will the same be available in windows 7. In windows 7, when i insert a cd , that is shown in the windows xplorer, and when i remove the cd or dvd, it vanishes. But when i click My computer, it shows as dvdrw , as a drive, but not in the explorer view. is it normal. If not please let me have the solution.

2. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    You can disable this feature from Folder Options. There is an option to show or hide optical drives in Windows Explorer if there is no media in the drive.

3. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    But, I have removed the tick and have all the options open, including my system files. But still i do not see the drive showing when i remove the cd. Is this a pattern in windows 7, i want to know

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In folder Options you'll need to have checked:
    • Display the full path in the title bar
    • Show hidden files, folders and drives
    • Show drive letters

you'll need to have un-checked:
    • Hide empty drives in the Computer folder

If done that I would wonder if you couldn't see the empty drives!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, I had already have enabled all the things already. I have done the full path also now. Still i could not find my cd drive in windows explorer

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I have the same problem on multiple machines, but to me it's just a "meh" sort of thing.

For a while on the machine I used most often I left a blank CD in the drive all the time. Then it dawned on me, the only time I actually needed to see the drive was when I was actually going to use it and at that point it'd have a disk in it. So I stopped obsessing.

But, I understand, inquiring minds want to know.

7. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, I want to know whether the default windows 7 settings, would not show, when a cd or dvd is not inserted in to it. Moreover, when i double click on the computer, it shows the cd , as dvdrw. I want to know that is this the default of windows 7. Or something went wrong with the drive. When i clicked the trouble shooting, hardware and devices, it shows that "hardware change might not have been deducted" with an exclamation remark, in the problem found wizard.

8. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Run regedit & go to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    change
    HideDrivesWithNoMedia
    from 1 to 0

9. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, The value is 0 there. I checked

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The default setting is not to show an empty drive.

11. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #12 jraju, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    (OP)
    I tried this fix at the end of the link you provide, sir, Even then i could not see my cd drive in the windows explorer hi, phasedoubt sir, is what you say correct?. Normally it will not show removable drives such as pendrives, but the cd is shown in my computer view. pl clarify.
    i also expect a real solution from Pisthai sir

12. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, Simple tick has resolved this view cd problem in windows 7. In explorer, in the folder options, you have to select show all folders in the navigation pane in the general tab. Now i could see my cd drive in windows 7. It is a pity that there are so many fixit provided by microsoft, and other websites and it will be interesting that you may come across ideas about sfc scannow and chkdsk r and f and even in microsoft site, in the forum so many suggestions including deleting of upper and lower filters etc. Just simple thing, to tick to show all folders in the folder option in the navigation menu in General Tab.Thanks for all who tried . This is the fix