Will the grub oem patch always work?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by natalic, Aug 23, 2009.

1. natalic

natalic MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    I have a laptop that uses a SLIC 2.0 and the bios has not been modded, I attempted to do so myself but I couldn't flash it (no software works).

Its an Extensa 5420 if anyone cares to know...

My question is, is the grub method possible to catch by Microsoft? I would REALLY like to upgrade to W7 for development purposes.

Please let me know. I couldn't find it on the thread, atleast when I looked.

2. Mad_Gouki

Mad_Gouki MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    I have that same laptop :D

It is possible for ms to find the grub4dos boot loader, but the chances are that they won't care. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned about the dell oem key being blacklisted.

The reason MS most likely won't do anything about the grub oem key loader is that anyone dual booting linux with windows 7 will be punished, and they really can't do that, especially after the bad press the tomtom suit got them.

3. drone_pilot

drone_pilot MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    If Dell are using this key already on production PC's then it would be hard to revoke it. To date none of the keys I am aware of have actually been blacklisted. Even if they were - which I am still sceptical about - will mean you only will not be able to download Windows updates. Don't go installing OEM keys without a loader though.

4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009

Microsoft already announced that Not Genuine (read pirated/blacklisted) keys will get windows updates, but only Critical Updates, not Optional Updates. Optional can be downloaded and installed directly, just not using Windows Update to do it.

5. natalic

natalic MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    So is it safe to assume I can install Windows 7 using WoW7? And should I use the one by Hazar or the original one? I paid $250 for this laptop. I can't beat that price haha. I just want to make sure I use the right stuff.

6. natalic

natalic MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    Does anyone have an answer to my last question?

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 Mr Jinje, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    >.> Anyone using a lo*der is safe for *now*. M$ will eventually put out patches to get some of the lo*ders patched. But like most have stated it won't happen till SP1. Or it might be sooner just watch what updates you install via WU.