Will the manufacturers include SLIC 2.1 in future BIOS??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Eazy Ace, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Eazy Ace

Eazy Ace MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    hello, i have an acer aspire one D150 and at the moment only SLIC 2.0 in the newest BIOS. Will there be official bios-updates that include 2.1, or will only new notebooks that will be shipped with windows 7 include 2.1 ?!
    i know about those modified bioses, but i dont want to risk anything, so that i wont install them!

so, can i hope that there will be 2.1 in the next Version?

2. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Even if they did, you'd still have to insert the license into the bios, so you would have to mod it anyway. However, I don't think they will provide SLIC 2.1 into old Vista-Compatible motherboards, it makes no sense.

3. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I sincerely doubt that manufacturers will give away bios upgrades which include a Slic 2.1 table. That would be like giving away Windows 7 for free.

4. Geezzer

Geezzer MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Well... at least the latest official and downloadable BIOS for HP 6735s laptop includes SLIC 2.1 (BIOS version F.0B).

5. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    I think updates with SLIC 2.1 will come out only for those computers which are planned to be released with Win7 onboard by their vendors. Just a logical assumption.

6. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Stop spreading false informations please.
    The SLIC consists of a pubkey and marker. That is all what sits in the bios.
    Additionally you add a license that matches the pubkey (in Win) and a SLP key. That is all.
    So IF a bios has slic 2.1 (and you have matching certificate) then you don't need to mod it. period.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...