Will the windows 8 key work after reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by neetaiphone, Aug 8, 2013.

1. neetaiphone

neetaiphone MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2013
    Hi my friend just brought a HP laptop which has windows 8 pre installed but the problem is no key is mentioned on the back of laptop. So I was wondering if she ever has to reinstall the operating system how will she do it she does not even have the key so do we legally own the OS or not. :nono2: I am a bit confused here.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    They store the key in the bios now.
    I think some bioses encrypt the key, but it's not important as there are a few ways to find the key using programs.
    Nick just listed one. Another would be to use Advanced Tokens Manager from joshcellsoftwares project here on MDL.
    It saves your activation data, but also creates config file that lists the key in text format, so it's good for backing up your old activation before formatting.

When you run win8 setup, it should automatically pull up the key in the bios provided it does not have an added ei.cfg

3. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #4 Humphrey, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Honestly you just need to either download a MSDN Windows 8 iso and boot to it and it will pull your key and install the correct version for you or use the OEM dvd you got with the computer if you did get one.. Only need to get the key encase on the rare event happens and it ask for the key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Beside that, the laptop comes with a recovery parition, windows 8 has Refresh/Reset options. U don't need the key or "reinstall" windows.

6. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    so, "refresh or reinstall windows" won't ask the key ever..?? in case retail activation of course..

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yeah it wont ask, whatever is embedded into the system is what Win8 will pull and install. Only time that has changed for me, is when I have added ei.cfg etc to an iso/usb. So even a fresh install with Win8 MSDN iso will still pull the key, unless you edit of course as I stated.

8. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Suppose I have a legacy bios without any embedded key and I've purchased a retail key and activated my windows 8. and now I wanna reinstall windows from "refresh and reinstall" option.. will it ask for key at the time of reinstallation..??

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    That is a good question, I would assume it would. AFAIK only MAK keys are ripped from the system after activation, so I wouldn't see why refreshing an install should require a key. Reinstall, perhaps.

10. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    But, technically it shouldn't require a key if I use refresh and reinstall option coz it's already detected a key.. otherwise, it defeats the purpose..