Will this version of the Windows Debugger work with Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pawgod, Apr 7, 2013.

1. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Whenever i go to Microsofts site to get the standalone debugger tools i get redirected to get the Windows 8 SDK, which is way more than i need and has a really large download size... but i found this on softpedia's page (ok i cant link to it anymore because my post count is low but google it and its in the first results) however it doesnt list windows 7 as something that it specifically works with, and i dont see a 64bit version of it either, just the Itanium one, ive found the same file on other sites like cnet too, but they all dont list Windows 7 as something it works with. So if i get that one would it work anyway? and would it install on a 64bit system and work? reason im getting it is to use them with DaRT's crash analyzer.
    On a follow up to this question... is there a difference between the checked and retail debugging symbols on microsofts site? like does one have more symbols than the other or...? and which one should i get? i want to basically have the most complete set! :D

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It is part of the SDK by MS and you'll have to download that. While installing you could chose which of the SDK Feature you like to install, so don't need to do that for all. And I would be carefully with not supported 3.party debuggers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    i was going to go ahead and download the whole SDK like you said and choose the debugger only but then i tried the softpedia one to see what would happen, and it works on win7 after all! :D im so glad it did lol, thank you!