will windows 8.1 upgrade deactivate expired keys for office 2013?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by dsbig, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dsbig

dsbig MDL Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Planning to upgrade my dads laptop from windows 8.0 to 8.1 but I have office 2013 installed using one of my technet keys. which the account is now expired and passed the grace period.

office is still activated on the laptop. but if I upgrade windows to 8.1, will office 2013 still remain activated?

or is there a new activation toolkit available that works with 8.1?

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I am in the same boat. I use win 8 pro from technet with grace expiring on 16 Sep 2013. I installed 8.1 on 20 Sep and it activated with my win 8 technet key. As to your specific query, in early Sep 2013, I did an inplace upgrade from 8 to 8.1 (from within windows 8) and it activated again with fresh input of 8 keys.

Do not know whether MS will implement the change in subscription conditions (no usage beyond expiry as compared with perpetual usage before).

You may have to try yourself and see. As of now, there are no activation toolkit available for 8.1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dsbig

dsbig MDL Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I went ahead and did the upgrade to 8.1 on the laptop and office remain activated after the install.

so I can confirm that technet key still work after account is expired. as I also reinstall windows 8 on another computer and it still activated with the technet keys