Will XP Mode be able to be used in Home Premium?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mazodude, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mazodude

mazodude MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I was just wondering what you guys thought about getting xp mode hacked to work on Home Premium? and also if it was possible?:)

2. CHB68

CHB68 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2007
    What for ? Modify your bios and get W7 Ultimate once it is available.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mazodude

Jan 4, 2009
    Because I dont need ultimate and I dont want to mod my bios (im going to buy premium :))
    also I was just asking if it would be possible..

4. itlvk

itlvk MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    XP Mode available in Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and maybe Enterprise.
    P/S: VMWare is better than XP Mode

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. joontje

joontje MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2009
    Right now, the XP Mode beta is not restricted to any edition of W7. but in the future it will indeed be restricted.

6. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
    The 'XP Mode' is only virtual pc plus a free licensed version of XP with SP3, if you read microsoft's blurb you can install the virtual pc on any version of Windows 7 and as long as you have a version of xp you can create your own vhd, install the integration features onto that image and you then have your 'XP Mode'.

So in short you do not need to hack anything if you have a licensed version of xp hanging around, most people have a corporate version hanging around.

^_^

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    mjgr33n put it best.

Virtual PC for Windows 7 is available for everyone. This will let you run VMs on your PC and use the integration features to allow them to run on your desktop.

"Windows XP Mode" - is a virtual hard drive image provided by MS to people with Pro,Ult or Enterprise skus. This is basically an OEM copy of Windows XP using the SLPv1 activation method. So to be truthful all you need is the BIOS marker files from Virtual Windows XP then use OEMScan to replace the files. If you have a copy of XP already you can just install it in Virtual PC to run your own version of "XP Mode".

The main differences:
    MS XP VHD uses differencing hard drives, this way their copy of XP is always fresh and ready to go. If you screw up delete your VHD and start over. Most people do not make VMs this way mostly because of the amount of space it takes up.

MS XP VHD uses OEM activation, and has some reg files in place to prevent the upgrading of IE 6 to IE 8 and I think the SP blocker reg entries are in place too to prevent update to SP3.

8. mazodude

Jan 4, 2009
    Thanks for your answers
    I think I'll just stick with vmware workstation :D