Will you have to pay for up-dates ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Buckie, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Buckie

Buckie MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Having read a few articles on Windows 10 lOT it seems to be saying that windows 10 is a free up-grade if taken within the year of release, they are saying one of its biggest down falls will be the having to pay for the up=dates ?

Buying a Retail Version will include the up=dates
    Enterprise will pay a monthly fee
    Free version ??? I've asked Microsoft and they haven't replied !
    If you remain in the insider they are free, drop out and you pay for further updates. ....and once you drop out, you can't get back in, with the same email...

Anyone else heard this, there intension is to be like Adobe ?

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    To be clear, I will pay only for the down-dates! :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I pay for Dates, but only at Christmas.:death:

4. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    My dates never worked well so it's not like I care about windows up or down dates

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Windoze is kind of blind dates ... sometimes you don't know what you get ... finally :violin:

6. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    All Win 10 users sailing in same boat are up - to - date =29 July 2016. Some will switch to 10.1 0r 10.2 whatsoever - some will stuck with 10 or continue as insider... May be! :confused:

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If I remember right, Microsoft has told many times publically that Updates for Windows 10 would be 'Free for Life' if the user has upgraded from an earlier version of Windows to Windows 10! I haven't read anything else till today!

If your claim, that you'd contacted Microsoft regarding that issue, please post an link to the original source as reference and evidence. And just to tell, you by yourself were bring that to question while posting the question:

If you couldn't post an working Link to the source, I would say it's just bad rumor!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!! Oh no what will I do, and I already paid "0" for Enterprise. Oh whoa is me. :laie:

Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge, Right from MS.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Microsoft has, AFAIK, clearly stated, that they would upgrade pirated versions of older Windows too, just those will not turn those upgraded OS'es in an legit version, they will stay as pirated! That could simply mean, that Microsoft will start to charge those users of now 'pirated' Windows 10, charge them, if they would like to keep their computer with that now pirated Windows 10 running, with some Upgrade/Update Fee!!

I do believe that's something which could be easy done, special by the Developer and Owner of the software and Activation System.

10. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    A few day's after they said this, they backed out and changed it, NO pirated versions.

11. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    "for the supported lifetime of the device" is not free for life. It's whatever their fickle minds choose.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    From the beginning, Microsoft stated that there would be an upgrade even from pirated Windows version, just they would be legal, means they still would be classified as a pirated!

For the legal users of Windows 10, there would be free updates for Life, whatever that "Life" would mean.

For my understanding, if, what the OP posted is true, Microsoft may charge for updating a pirated version which would turn that pirated version into a legal version.

But, who really knows what will be on the end of the day?!

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sure, if the device is broken and could not run anymore, it's life is 'gone'!

It's all about how the "Life" is classified!

14. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Also if someone goes for major hardware upgrade after 29 July 2016 his device will be considered as New - and user will have to pay for re-activation. :mad:

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Wrong! That could simply be solved with Phone Activation! Limited to legal Users and NOT Pirate's!

16. loplop4

loplop4 MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2015
    yes of course

17. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #17 Engineer2k2, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

How can someone convince/prove over phone that he had already upgraded in the past (i.e. before 29 July 2016) using the FREE upgrade opportunity. No Way !! :eek: It uses HWID and generic Key for all with no confirmation email or record for the user (I am talking about Legal users ONLY!).

Otherwise everyone who is not upgrading now will be able to use phone activation method to avail the free upgrade even after the offer period.:g:

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You're making it complicated when it's simple. Sorry.

It's the same as it has been for years, a OEM has the life of the Motherboard, when the Mobo dies, so does this LIFE of the OS you talk about.

As for Retail, and to Engineer, the person only needs to call MS with their Retail key, MS is not going to make anyone prove they updated
    if they switched PC or the motherboard died, or make them stick in the old drive.

19. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #19 Engineer2k2, Sep 23, 2015

The Question is not OEM or Retail
    - But If someone upgrades a Retail/OEM version for FREE now and upgrades (Major means CPU or Motherboard) his system after one year - Will phone activation accept that he had availed the "FREE UPGRADE OFFER" in the past. How will M$ verify? Since the HWID has changed and no such record is being maintained to track.:confused:

Even if I provide my Retail Key of Windows 7/8 doesn't prove that I had upgraded in the past and M$ should consider my case and activate my Win10 installation.
    Only PAID upgrade will WORK after 29 July 2016.;)

So if someone is planning some major system upgrade. - He should do it before 29 July 2016 and upgrade to Win 10.:throw::clap:

Microsoft has very cleverly mentioned that "To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you have upgraded, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.":weep:

20. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    #20 David34, Sep 23, 2015
    The real problem is that the people who upgraded from win 7 and 8 and use windows 10 for more than one month their windows 7 and 8 genuine keys get blocked and when the free uograde year is over and those people reinstall their free win 10 more than 5 times their windows 10 key gets blocked too and they will have problem activating windows again. As far as I can see you can only reinstall windows 10 5 times then the free upgrade key gets blocked by the server. So good luck ;)