Win 10 (2004) User Folder Shared?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Needy, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Needy

Needy MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I have a data Drive on my main desktop set up to be shared so that I can transfer data to and from two other computers on my LAN

On all 3 computers two desktops (Win 10 Pro) and a laptop (Win 10 Home) I've found that the User folder (Drive C is shared and permissions are given to "Everyone"

I have removed Everyone from permissions and turned off sharing on all 3 User folders-(each computer), and my shared drive still works fine.

Is this normal for Win 10, or does it happen when you share a drive? Does anyone else here find their User folder shared?

Never seen or expected this.

2. cybersurge

cybersurge MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2019
    It's normal, they're called administrative shares. I've heard it can cause problems to turn them off but I did a while back to no ill effects so far. (I'm the only one on my home network, though, so I'm not sharing printers/files/etc)

They can be disabled via registry.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters and make a new DWORD named AutoShareWks and have its value set at 0 (should be 0 by default but you never know).

3. Needy

Needy MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Thanks cybersurge glad to know it's normal. I've made the registry entry you suggested on my main computer, I'll get to the others next time I use them. Also it will give me time to see if I run into any issues.