Win 10 auto update replacing oem drivers with M$ updated drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by The_Guardian, Aug 31, 2015.

1. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #1 The_Guardian, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Those like myself who are experiencing your oem driver that works gets auto updated by M$ causing problems. Some oem drivers are custom tailored to that specific hardware configuration. If windows 10 forces you to update it could possibly cause you problems. For example, my touch pad driver is tailored made for my configuration so every week M$ forces update which replaces my oem driver which causes touch pad driver settings to not save. I have to reinstall oem driver every week. I have finally found out how to stop drivers from updating through M$ update server. Here is the instructions...

-right click on start menu button in lower left corner.
    -click system.
    -click adv system settings.
    -click hardware tab.
    -click on device installation settings.
    -bullet point in No, let me choose what to do.
    -bullet point in Never install driver software from Windows Update.
    -click on save changes and then exit advance system settings.

This stopped the driver updates on my machine thank goodness so thought I would share the info with those who have experienced driver issues with win10 updates like myself.

Now to find where in registry it is so when I do a fresh install I can stop those driver updates on my machine from the install. :g:

Have a good day. :)

Update:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata]
    "PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork"=dword:00000000
    Change to 00000001

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000
    Change to 00000001

2. speedbirdengineer

speedbirdengineer MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    Correct me if I am wrong, but if you stop installation of device drivers other devices like network adapters etc too can't update if those drivers are newer than your OEM ones. The best bet would be to go to device manager & roll back to the driver manually from "update driver- browse my comp- select from list of drivers- and find the OEM one and select that. That way you wouldn't need to stop the device drivers from automatically updating.

I had tried that stunt out when i was on 10, and it worked like a charm. Just a thought. Have a good day too mate.:)

3. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #3 The_Guardian, Aug 31, 2015
    (OP)
    Newer drivers arent always better with oem machines....if you have those that work...dont update it to M$ ones because it "could" cause issues like myself. OEM drivers are different from M$ ones or even device manufacture ones like intel. You should only get your drivers from oem if oem machine. Custom builds are another story.

I have hp 2 in 1 so I get my drivers auto through its software...not M$. ;) OEM drivers dont change as much as device manufacture and M$ drivers do.

What you are not understanding is that if I roll back the driver which I do every freakin week....M$ just updates it again anyways. I have no problems with my oem driver thus it doesnt need updating....with M$ driver for my touch pad I cant save settings. This is a known issue with Win10 update with driver installs.

If it isnt broke, dont fix it. ;)

4. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I have an annoying issue with a Win 10 Install, The OEM Driver for Sound works well, Dated 2012, MS Updates continually Updates this Driver & the Sound is Broken, I rollback & the Sound Works Again, But it is still being Offered by MS as an Update, Even though I have followed the Walkthrough above...

Does NE1 know how I can prevent Windows Update from Updating this Driver??

Cheers

5. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #6 The_Guardian, Aug 31, 2015
    (OP)
    Win10 has major issues with settings not being saved at all in control panel. They issued a tool to help you might try. I am not home now or I would google it and post it for you. With a little searching of google you can easily find it. Might be worth trying. Win10 reminds of Win8 when it first came out but Win8 was more stable but too had setting issues.

Seems the setting issues are more from upgrade then fresh clean install. I suspect some sort of conflict when upgrading.

If more ppl complained to M$ instead of here they might actually fix it in a timely manner. :g:

6. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    with each update windows resets some settings even with clean install.
    i remove one drive and user folders from ThisPC and explorer navigation bar, but they always come back with new updates. so, there may be some other settings that are being reset.

7. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    One thing you might want to check is to see if settings are holding after reboot. Mine did not until I installed correct oem driver, then I could save my settings. Got this info from HP themselves. Only their driver allows permissions to be set settings for it. As far as nav bar that would be something different which could very well be checked by M$ updates to revert back. Win10 customization is truly a pita. lol

8. havoque

havoque MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    The Device Installation Settings in the Hardware Tab of Advanced System Settings did not get saved for me too. What made them stick was using DDU to uninstall my Nvidia driver. DDU informed me that it had made a change to the Device Installation Settings and since then no automatic drivers update on my machine. Hope that helps somebody. Btw, DDU should always be run in Safe Mode.

9. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Confirmed working....