win 10 clean install from usb

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jimpghpa, Aug 28, 2016.

1. jimpghpa

jimpghpa MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2013
    i have done zillions of windows 10 clean installs and never had a problem. trying a clean install from usb on asus ux305ca laptop. when language select screen comes up at beginning it is real small and in addition i have no mouse and no touchscreen so i can't continue installation. any ideas? thanks. :confused:

2. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Are you booting from the usb when the PC restarts ?

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    It's small because it's a high-DPI screen, but you can change DPI scaling once you've got the OS installed.
    The reason you've got no mouse or touchscreen is that Setup won't have the proper drivers for the device and/or the bus that the device is attached to (e.g. a USB 3.0 controller). But, as long as you're able to get network access, the installed OS will be able to obtain drivers for those.

If you have a working keyboard it's easiest to continue the installation with that (using Tab to navigate between controls and Enter to press a button). However, you may get stuck at the HDD selection screen if you need to supply a driver for the storage controller. You would then have to obtain that driver and supply it to Setup using a storage device it can recognize.

4. jimpghpa

jimpghpa MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2013
    glen - yes booting from usb

100 - i would never have thought of using keyboard. your comment made me think to try wired mouse which worked. and the "small" issue went away upon install as you said.

thank you all! i love mdl:biggrin: