Win 10 Enterprise - activation issues

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by www.NinjaCrew, Nov 9, 2016.

1. www.NinjaCrew

www.NinjaCrew MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2016
    I have a genuine insider account for Windows 10 Pro. With the latest release (14959) I installed the Enterprise .esd instead of the normal one that matches my account. Is the best course of action to use a KMS solution until the next release?

Current state with Microsoft account:

*...key does not work with the current version of windows*​

Im hoping that with the next release, I can:
    • Backup current registry
    • Boot from USB
    • Advanced Custom install
    • During install - windows moves all previous files to Windows.Old
    • After install - manual relocation of windows.old to current clean
    • Manual restore program registries
    • Learn from my mistakes. :tea:

I know that with the bug bash, I have to wait until at least the 14th but hoping to have some experts nudge me in the right direction.

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    You should get activated if you entered the right key aint you :confused: should be ending with 2YT43 ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. www.NinjaCrew

www.NinjaCrew MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2016
    Thanks! However, when I enter that key (and from my understanding, what sets enterprise apart from Pro) it shares this message

To activate with this product key, this device will need to connect to your organization's activation service​

From my understanding, that translates to KMS - no? If I have an account with a genuine key digitally signed to it, doesnt this defeat the purpose? Im purely asking <3 Super grateful for the feedback.

4. www.NinjaCrew

www.NinjaCrew MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2016
    I understand that - the beginning of the OT states I installed enterprise on accident and was looking for a solution (besides KMS or waiting for the next release) to fix it.

My insider genuine account is linked to Windows 10 Pro (RET)

5. www.NinjaCrew

www.NinjaCrew MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2016
    Ok cool - thanks for confirming! So would the steps I outlined in the OP be the best way to "downgrade"? Or is there a tool / script within the community to assist with the process?

I imagine with the right amount of tweaking - something can be used of the "Revert back to old windows" within the OS to downgrade.

6. www.NinjaCrew

www.NinjaCrew MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2016
    I just tried entering the Pro key in Windows Enterprise Insider Preview and it didnt work - said the key could not be used with this version of Windows.

Edit:
    Luckily I didnt have to wait that long - 14965 was just released. Once I decrypt the WINDOWS.10.PRO.CORE.RETAIL esd, should I do clean install? Or can I upgrade to the new build and change back to Pro.

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #12 Enthousiast, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    I just did a test with Enterprise 14965 on a system that has a HWID for Pro.

After installing Enterprise x64 14965 en-US i've entered the generic Pro (HWID) key (3V66T) and it instantly changed from a not activated Enterprise to HWID activated Pro.

Capture1.JPG

9. www.NinjaCrew

www.NinjaCrew MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2016
    Update:

I got everything working - looks like the genuineticket didnt match the hardware... and when I tried the "different hardware" dialog upon prompt, it didnt budge. Just imaged my 10, clean installed 7 again and made my way back up. Thanks for all the help.

10. www.NinjaCrew

www.NinjaCrew MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2016
    I tried entering the key in the settings --> check activation status --> change product key. I also tried using the slmgr method (clearing, reloading etc) with no success.

I'm guessing it was a good idea. With enterprise / KMS I was having constant time sync issues leading to certificate verification errors and other things (even after clean install, eventually Windows Update becomes finicky, slow boot times). Now, with Pro genuine activated no more bugs and no more weird driver issues.