Win 10 ISO_Fresh Install_How to activate it ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ohaquall, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ohaquall

ohaquall MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2013
    I did a clean install with the w10 ISO from MS, can't personalize anything, unless windows is activated, any help ?

Thanks

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Did you do the required update of an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8 install before the clean install?

3. ohaquall

ohaquall MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2013
    No, blank HD and just installed w10 from the ISO

4. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Won't work, the first time you have to update an installed system to get activated. After that you can clean install and activate.

5. ohaquall

ohaquall MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2013
    thank you so much ! will do !

6. Valoni

Valoni MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    did i need to add any serial on clean install (After already Upgraded and Installed,Activated) or i need to use Advanced Token Manager ...

or can someone explain complete procedure

Win7 Pro upgraded to Win10 Pro and activated too
    - and now i want to do clean install with Win10 Pro in same machine

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    and now you can and it will activate

8. Valoni

Valoni MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    but questions was

did i need to add serial / which one
    did i need to connect in internet to activate / or no
    did i need just to restore backup with Advanced Token Manager ..
    or just install (no key and it was activated by default ??).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    #9 drnoellyg, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Once you are already on Windows 10 after a successful upgrade from either Win 7 SP1 or WIn 8.1, and you're activated, you can do a clean install.
    No need to add serial/key, in fact when it asks always hit skip, do not enter anything.
    Yes you need to be online after installation so that the servers can re-activate you.
    No need to restore backup
    And finally, yes, just install, no key, it will be activated by itself.

edit: regarding activation, the servers once you installed windows 10 coming from an eligible OS (Win 7 with SP1 or Win 8.1) will use your hardware to uniquely identify you, so no more need for keys or anything like that. Once you are activated, you can do a fresh/clean install on that machine as many times as you want, never having to enter a key, and as soon as you are online ans the servers see your hardware again they will activate you automatically (just give it some time or tries because so many people are doing it it can take a little time, but worry not, you will be activated again).

10. GotItBro

GotItBro MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    Clean install means installing from a bootable USB or DVD right?

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Correct. :good3:

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    That means you format the drive :cool:

13. GotItBro

GotItBro MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    I also heard that refreshing in Windows 10 is also same as Clean install. Is this true?

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Yep, afaik this is true :D.

15. perror

perror MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    Did a clean install of pro and used one of the emulated kms to activate. Works fine. But if the kms protocol changes then I'd probably be out of luck.

16. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    I want to clear up that

Windows 7 activated and then upgrade to Windows 10 activated works fine.

But after that, if you FORMAT your hard drive and install Windows 10 (with what serial I might add) you Windows 10 will probably NOT activate. It makes no sense. The only way that could happen is that when you do W7 -> W10 upgrade is that Microsoft stores some kind of information of your PC (could be your MAC address) on its activation servers and then when you format and clean install Windows 10, it activates based off that. This is simply a "glitch" because of OEM activations and being unable to blacklist OEM keys but make no mistake: One year later, this will NOT work.

Another method needs to be found that allows a brand new system with a brand new formatted hard drive/SSD that Windows 10 can be installed clean and then activated clean. No upgrade method what so ever.

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Buddy, that route actually exists. As it did for all predecessors.

If ya want it hasslefree: BUY A LICENSE!!!! Then you can do as you like.

No need to use the Free Offer at all.

18. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Phone activation doesn't work, so unless they come up with a way to de-activate and re-activate on different hardware, I predict a lot of people migrating to kms activation in a year.