Win 10 - Updated Opinions/Views

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bakersfield, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Bakersfield

Bakersfield MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Hello all,

Well, it's been quite some time & many many posts discussing peoples fears and concerns about Win 10 (Spyware & Telemetry etc).

I'm specifically asking for current/updated views, especially since the clarification(s) put out by MS (yes I know - pinch of salt).

What is your current view, after all the discussion and debate.

Windows 10 - yes or no?

Upgrade or not?

[Mods - please consider that this thread is hoping to update the discussion by encouraging the inclusion of how members opinions have evolved over the longer term]

2. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Well I have three computers one with win 10 insider and win 10 pro, 2nd Computer two hard drives with win 10 pro and 3rd just win 7....and with win 10 other than some old graphic cards are problem working e.g. X1950pro and maybe some old games (that I haven't tried yet), Win 10 is working ok for me but do find win7 easier to use and finding things, but maybe that's because I've used it for years.
    I would like to know if Win 10 pro-64 is more reliable compared to Win 10 pro-32 as my grandson has been playing city skylines all day on 64 and not a hiccup.
    But the answer yes or no is debatable as I would say it depends e.g. if win 7 is working for you and are happy then why upgrade.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why start another thread about 10 when you already state there are many other threads about the same issues?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I wish to see replies in a way like excalibur2 did. Strictly on topic.
    To question the purpose or personal addressing should have no place here. The OP has asked a detailed question about updated opinions, no matter how they are.....

Thanks. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    If we forget all the privacy issues, the thing that most annoys me is removing control panel applets and replacing system default programs with metro alternatives. Even at the end of 2015 most programs have issues with UAC. However, if you turn UAC off, you lose basic functionality like an image viewer, calculator etc. You have to resort to 3rd party programs. You can do it, but it's a hassle. In the meantime, windows 7, linux distros etc. ship this functionality without compatibility issues. So why downgrade to a lesser experience?

6. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    The One Core to rule them all and in the darkness bind them philosophy is going to require compromises.

7. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Most definitely go for it...most of the folks worried about "telemetry" are just learning to spell it...;) There's really no debating the issue, you know. From now on, 100% of Microsoft R&D will go to Win10--not to Win7/8. Those older Windows versions are already on life support and will be security-patched from now on until they EOL, and that's about it. There is no EOL for Win10. Additionally, get it while the getting is good--that is, while it's still gratis--you have several months to go, but why wait? 10586 is plenty solid for most cases.

Above all, don't get the Insiders program confused with general Windows releases and use. That's the most common mistake I see, that people think in order to upgrade to Win10 they have to download and install all of the interim insider builds. The two are entirely separate--you can upgrade for free without becoming an Insider.

I like this OS just fine...got it in all machines at home (3) and have no troubles worth talking about. If Windows 8 had been what it should have been, it would have been what is now Windows 10, imo. I guess we can thank Microsoft for making such a huge boo-boo because if Windows 8 hadn't featured the GUI that everyone loves to hate--there'd be no free Win10 upgrades, imo.

I run a lot of software, some of it 30 years old (DOS), and Win10 is by far the most backwards-compatible OS I've seen out of Microsoft since Vista (which was not very backwards-compatible, IIRC)--but at the same time, Win10 is very forward-looking in many respects. That's Microsoft's greatest strength traditionally--that their OSes can keep pushing the boundaries of hardware support ever forward without sacrificing backwards software compatibility. Other companies can't do it nearly so well--they manage to push their OSes to support current & future tech but in the process they lose a lot of backwards compatibility--which makes them just that much less useful in my view.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I am an insider and was really disappointed with the release to public 10240,
    everyone is by now familiar with all the probs and gripes about it,
    my view is based on the way it is without altering it for normal public users,
    even at the build now i would not have it as as my personal computer,
    all family computers here are w7-8 with blocked w10 updates,
    i come here to learn and have done repairs to buggered up upgrades and fresh installs for customers,
    i tell all that ask me re w10 to wait, we are half way for the free upgrade,
    most have done the clicky and have it and are not worried about it, like i am.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I have been using Windows 10 solely for more than a year. I do not buy into the spyware hysteria at all. I have the UAC turned all the way down, and there are no issues. I love the start menu, and all the new controls. I recommend it highly to everyone I can.

10. Bakersfield

Bakersfield MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2012
    One thing did come to mind, that personally has made me hesitate.

The Telemetry and Privacy issue. I agree that some that there are many varied views on this issue, with some calling it 'hysteria', and others labelling it as part of an inevitable 'mission creep' of 'big data' (for want of a better term).

Is it that most just needed some time to get used to the idea, and a rebalancing of the status quo - or, alternatively - have peoples concerns and worries about this been addressed and 'put to bed'?

11. Windows 10 - yes or no?

Yes, Redstone without: Microsoft-Store, Microsoft-Apps, Cortana, Defender, Edge, Auto-Update, ect.

@Yen & all - Merry Christmas!

12. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    You cannot pick and choose updates or refuse them completely.

No.

That being said I do have 2 machines with it (Lenovo 100S's). OS is good, lack of choice is not. I'd rather run 7 32-bit on these if there were drivers for everything but as is typical with new systems that have a new OS OOTB, those drivers don't exist. I'm sure I could finagle something, but I'd rather not. All my other self-built workstations will remain on 7 x64 forever.

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    You can choose which updates to install with apps such as Mini Tools in my sig, over all Win 10 works fine until
    you start shutting down spyware things, in other words, you must leave everything alone for OS to perform correctly, I have not seen my bank balance or SSN posted anywhere, all repair functions work, so yes upgrade is cool.:D

14. excalibur2

Aug 1, 2015
    Just to add:- on the same computer different HD with win 10-32 and the game eurotruck 2 has crashed again after 30 mins...some other games do the same....well if win 10 64 is more reliable maybe games should be offered 32 or 64 so we can choose, after all they ain't cheap to buy.

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  16. excalibur2

Aug 1, 2015

17. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    It may be RAM 32 vs 64:confused:

18. excalibur2

Aug 1, 2015
    Do you mean the way a 64 operating system uses say 2 X 2gb sticks of ram is better than 32 OS.....for playing games (and of course other programs)?

19. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Defently yes for windows 10 works great only problem I have with networking computers who share are not detected with network discovery on after latest update ! But for the rest I love the way windows 10 works on my main machine :)