Win 10 Upgrade, how will it work.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MenaceRx, Jul 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MenaceRx

MenaceRx MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    So if I own Win 7 Pro, does that mean I get Win 10 Pro as my replacement if I opt to upgrade? Also will we be able to load 2 machines with our license like we could in the past 1 desktop and 1 laptop? Or will I now need 2 copies of Win 10?

Some simple questions I had, dont remember seeing these directly answered by Microsoft in the quick fact Q&A they have listed.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    In case MS can't answer this ... what do you expect from us :g:?

crystal.ball.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MenaceRx

MenaceRx MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    Since so many of you are running W10 builds as test beds I figured some of you might have some additional knowledge that I might have over looked. I am of the mindset that it never hurts to ask, doesnt mean you wont get some smart remarks or well useless responses in the process.

4. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    sign in to the computers with your microsoft account and answer to the first question will be yes pro to pro,the laptop if it has an activated qualifying os it will upgrade through windows update as well,the same as the other computer,once upgraded you can then clean install on both of them with an iso,as the machines licenses are already registered on the microsoft servers after the upgrades.

5. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    From what I heard, it depends on how many devices your key EULA allows to activate, anyway, wait until Jul 29 to find it out. :p

6. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If you have it installed on two machines now and both are properly activated that is what you will have when you upgrade them however you will NOT be able to then move them to other machines. It is tied to the specific machine they gave you the FREE upgrade for.

8. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop being hung up on keys, there are no keys involved. If you have a legally activated version of windows 7 or 8.1 when you start you will have a legally activated windows 10 machine after the upgrade. There will be no key associated with that machine and you will not be able to move that copy of 10 anywhere else...but why would you want to anyway as every other machine in the world by then whether you buy it or pick it up at a garage sale will be running 10 by then anyway.

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    ...............................:laie:!!!

10. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Actually, I really wonder about those questions (the more than 1 PC thing), so if there was a church service on that topic right now, I would really go... :bookside:

11. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    WMC key is an upgrade key based on a retail-activated win8/8.1, win7/8/8.1 retail key will be flagged after upgrade, and KMS ...... forget about it. :rasta:

12. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #14 3sidedcube, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    they will probably do a side by side install / I do not think that it will upgrade your current install it would cause to much headache for microshaft and the IT profs.
    the boot order on the other hand will be like when you do a dual boot scenario 30 sec countdown and then boot into whatever os.

The thing that intrigues me more is the slic side of thing's whether win 10 will use the same licencing as win7/8 dose... it would make sense. i cannot see them doing another slic branch just dose not make sense.

I can also see that the next os that come out of microshaft will not be as easy to get and you will have to pay with your arms and legs. In Fact I bet the next time they do an os it will be key coded in the media and when that media get's used and registered at microshaft server's it will be tide to that particular Motherboard and that will be that ... after that that media will be useless.

13. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #15 Don, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    sheesh..they are giving it away to a billion PCs, if you have a valid activation no matter how it got there (KMS excluded) I have no doubt you can upgrade it for free to W10 and keep it there until the PC rots....just do the upgrade within the first year.

The elephant in the room, however, is phone activation and NOBODY can answer that question until there is a retail version of 10 in the wild. Will it remain the same as it has been, will it change or might it disappear altogether? They seem to be requiring internet access for this upgrade, will the require it for all activations going forward?

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Closing this thread its going no where.