Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hongta, Mar 12, 2017.

1. hongta

hongta MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2017
    I prepare to buy a new laptop. and I am concerned about using win 10. Who can list me some pros and corn of it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I have been using Windows 10 for years. It is an absolutely wonderful OS. I love it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Depends on where and how you place your privacy, from an out of the box experience it'll need some tweaking if your concerned about privacy. You can fix most privacy issues from right at MDL

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I haven't any privacy issues on Windows 10, and all my settings are default. Any so-called privacy concerns are just click-bait. Ignore these conspiracy theories. That is all they are, imaginings of deluded minds. :(

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Not only privacy issues, but the adware that comes bundled with Windows 10 also

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    What adware?

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    no take me wrong but :sneaky::tea::ccc:

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #9 Joe C, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  10. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    pros; -
    - it is slightly improved from 8.1.
    - it is/was free.
    - you can increase your post count indefinitely here by posing deplorable questions about it.
    cons;
    - it is spyware.
    - it f*x up your drivers, and you do not normally have any control over it.
    - it is inferior to Linux in every way.
    - if you did not get it for free, you pay for it anyway.
    - if you use it on a laptop, it is very hard to upgrade to w7.
    - by using it, you support m$.

11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Not spyware in any way, shape or form. It does not screw up drivers at all. Linux is just plain inferior to most OSes including Windows 10. If you get it for free, it remains free. Windows 7 is a definite downgrade. What is wrong with supporting one of the most reputable companies in the world?

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Huh ... not sure if serious comment or simple trolling :g:. In which world/universe would that be? At least not in mine.

13. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    you state that you have been using w 10 `for many years` and that you have no privacy issues with it. let us agree that there are privacy issues. and you do pay for it, if you buy a new laptop. Linux is open source, and really free. i tried it, and it works great. posts abound here that windose update installs non-working drivers. what is wrong with supporting one of the most reputable in the world, you ask? reputable? is google reputable? is apple? is amazon, even? the fact that m$ persued an aggressive policy to get w10 on every pc to the exclusion of earlier versions tells me enough. as for w7, it is actually better than w 10, because i do have privacy issues with w 10.

14. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Interestingly it's ways easier to maintain my Win 10 system, which is stripped of the most Telemetry parts, then the Win 7/8.1 systems of friends, where one has to take care of the pesky Telemetry updates, MS tends to ship regularly.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Mr. dhjohns, let me condense that policy a little better for your comprehension:

We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number
    We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information
    We collect data about how you and your device interact with Microsoft
    We collect data about the features you use, the items you purchase, and the web pages you visit.
    We collect data about your device and the network you use to connect
    It includes data about the operating systems and other software installed on your device, including product keys. It also includes IP address, device identifiers (such as the IMEI number for phones)
    When you engage Microsoft for support, we collect data about you and your hardware, software
    We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app, or the favorite cities you add to a weather app.
    We collect data about your contacts and relationships
    We collect data about your location
    We collect content of your files and communications
    Microsoft uses the data we collect to provide you the products we offer
    We use data to help show more relevant ads, whether in our own products like MSN and Bing, or in products offered by third parties.
    We share your personal data
    We also use web beacons
    When you use Bing services, we collect your search queries, location and other information about your interaction with our services.
    The list goes on.......I do admit this is a special condensed version but maybe you'll get the idea if I make my point in this manner

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Isn't that from the eula of using the online services and not windows os itself?

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Just a MS fanboy, can't see all their faults due to the brightness of their shiny logo

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The snippet you posted (and i have seen it before, wrongly used) is not about windows, you have marked it red yourself.

This is about windows itself:

20. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    You can't even LIE well. :(