Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Enthousiast, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Changelog:

2. paradoxumwind

paradoxumwind MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2015
    For regular clean installs of new builds from uupdump, option 1 is fine right for regular user? I don't actually need to bypass any of the requirements someone just said to run the isos through this script. thanks in advance nice work.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    All first 3 options should be fine for clean installs.

If you don't need to bypass any requirements (your hardware meets the win 11 minimum requirements) then there is no need for using this tool.

4. snofte

snofte MDL Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Problem with the fix-kit:
    Last desember I used the fix-kit for several upgrades from 10 to 11 without problems.
    Today I used the same generated iso as I used in december for a new upgrade, but now
    it fails with stop code "system service exception". Happens in last part of the upgrade after sveral boots.
    Found that this only happens when then lan-cable is plugged into the RJ45. With no cable, it runs and
    finishes without problem, win 11 showing fine on the desktop. Plugging in the cable, and the stop code pops up at once.
    Tried also a new upgrade from 10 to 11 with the cable in from the start, it fails with the stop code mentioned.
    Seems something has changed on the Microsoft side, have they tried to block the fix-kit ?
    Have I missed someting here ?

5. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Trying download updates ... And updates fail ?
    Why just not, change wu to notify mode instead ? using answer file
    Complete updates later after first run

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. qwesta

qwesta MDL Senior Member

Jul 22, 2011
    You can try Rufus, It has an inbuilt configuration, which supports the same thing without any hassle

7. snofte

snofte MDL Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks for suggestion. Tried this. Without cable plugged in, performing setup.exe from the fix.iso.
    "seaching for updates" pops up, but it keep running. Finally, W11 shows ok on desktop.
    But as soon as I plugg inn the cable, at once (without delay) the abort mess pops up.
    Should I maybe try a newer version of the fix-kit, or switch to rufus as suggested ?

8. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    I do like to add PS code before the OOBE stage,
    to shut down any connection, this is my best solution so far
    and will run from 'specialize.cmd' file in in specialize stage of the installation

Code:
    powershell -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -command "Get-NetAdapter | Disable-NetAdapter -Confirm:$false"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Muggaen

Muggaen MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2011
    As far I discovered Realtek PCIe LAN driver is the culprit, I always install with net off line for everything version over windows 22000 (under is not a problem)

10. snofte

snofte MDL Member

Jan 10, 2013
    SOLVED ! (but cannot understand why this is so):
    In december 2022 I upgraded several ga-x58a-ud7 Rev. 2- win 10 -pc-s with a FIXED iso, to win 11. . No problems.
    On the rev.2 the lan chip is RTL8111E.
    Now I tried to upgrade another ga-x58a.ud7 Rev 1 win 10 with same FIXED iso from same thumb drive. Abort if lan cable plugged in.
    On the Rev1. the lan chip is RTL8111D (note the difference D vs E)
    So I trided upgrading with no lan-cable. Success ! Win 11 showing fine on desktop.
    Checked lan driver on the win 10, it is 10.04.2015, ver 9.1.410.2015.
    Checked lan driver on the upgraded win 11, it is 12.04.2015 ver 9.1.412.2015. It has changed during the upgrade process !!
    The change is not made by me, it must be a microsoft induced change ! Which does not work !!
    So I downloaded a more recent lan.driver on another pc: 11.05.21 ver 10.50.511.2021.
    Change the driver on the win 11 with this 2021.version, plugged in the lan-cable, and it did not abort!! Success !!
    Conclusion : The culprit is the difference of the two lan-chips.
    This again causing the upgrade process to install a driver which does not work !!!
    Why on earth does the Mocrosoft upgrade change a lan driver from one that did work, to
    one that does notwork ????
    Thanks for all comments and suggestions regarding this very strange case.

11. Muggaen

Muggaen MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2011
    #1091 Muggaen, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    @snofte after I install with net off line (lan cable unpluged) and install finished I always uinstall lan and wifi driver and install the newest driver and restart pc and then all just fine windows is running and working, if no uinstall and just install with net offline/lan cable unpluged it also work and windows start op just fine until I plug in the netcable and the the problem start again it fails with stop code "system service exception". thats why I always install offline and replace driver before restart then its working again. why it does that I never found out and havent got time to look further in that problem.

12. snofte

snofte MDL Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated ! Comforting to know that I have not been alone with this strange microsoft problem.
    So my win 11 know has the 2021 rtl driver, and it working ok. My copy of the win 10 source for upgrade has the old rtl driver
    which works ok. I am not very pleased with the way we have to bypass the abort-problem when installing or upgrading.
    Strange that Microsoft has not released a fix for this.

13. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    @Enthousiast
    Currently split install files are not supported. This can be circumvented by exporting the split files to create à wim file (and the reverse process must be done before creating the iso. The problem is due to lack of support of split files by wimlib and occurs for option 1 of the script.
    Work around :
    Replace instructions 246-250 by :
    Code:
        set WIMFILE=install.swm
        set "split=0"
        if %FIX%==1 (
            set WIMFILE=install.wim
            set "split=1"
            dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:"Work\sources\install.swm" /swmfile:"Work\sources\install*.swm" ^
                /all /destinationimagefile:"Work\sources\install.wim"
            del /q "Work\sources\install*.swm"
        )
    And add after instruction 301 :
    Code:
    if not %split%==0 (
        dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:"Work\sources\install.wim" /SWMFile:"Work\sources\install.swm" /FileSize:4000
        del Work\sources\install.wim
    )
    Of course this needs some resources but no pain no gain.

14. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    hmm, what? wimlib-imagex not support swm?
    Code:
    --ref="install*.swm

15. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    It fails when processing UFWS

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Because i didn't want it to first merge the swm files to to the info server install,xxx thingy and next the re-splitting, can make it optional at next update.

17. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    BTW, your add-Diskpart_Apply_Image_Tool_murphy78_custom_v1.2.cmd script offers the possibility to start the murphy78-DiskPart-Apply-v1.3.1 tool automatically; this could be done if the DPaA variable equals 2 for example (1 to include the tool, 2 to include the tool and winpeshl.ini).

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Let's keep the diskpart stuff only available as optional (during windows install), nobody needs that to be the default for windows setup, imho.

19. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    #1099 rpo, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 10, 2023
    I agree, but let me explain my suggestion.
    At line 19 of theupgrade kit :
    SET "DPaA=0": ==> You have chosen to NOT integrate the Diskpart & Apply Image script (v1.3.1)
    SET "DPaA=1" : ==> Integrates the Diskpart & Apply Image script (v1.3.1)
    SET "DPaA=2" : ==> Integrates the Diskpart & Apply Image script (v1.3.1) and start it automatically
    It's the user's choice. And even if the diskpart stuff is started, the user is asked if he or she wants to use the script, or to use Windows Setup.
    But as I sayed, it's only a suggestion (and I don't use the script), your tool is fine as it is.

Update : possible code
    Code:
    :ISO_FiX123
    IF NOT "%DPaA%"=="0" (
        echo.
        echo ============================================================
        echo Adding Murphy78 Diskpart and Apply Image Script 1.3.1 To Boot.wim...
        echo.
        %_wimlib% update Work\sources\boot.wim 2 --command "add 'Files\murphy78-DiskPart-Apply-v1.3.1\%warch%\' '\'"
    )
    IF "%DPaA%"=="2" (
        echo.
        echo Replacing the winpeshl.ini - Script will run automatically
        echo.
        (
        echo [LaunchApps]
        echo %%WINDIR%%\system32\winpeinit.exe
        echo %%WINDIR%%\system32\menu.cmd
        echo %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\sources\setup.exe
        )>"temp\winpeshl.ini"
        %_wimlib% update Work\sources\boot.wim 2 --command "add 'temp\winpeshl.ini' 'Windows\System32\winpeshl.ini'"
    )
    :RESUME3

20. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    With respect to Windows 11, MSFT refers to hardware chipsets built around 7th gen (or lower) CPUS as unsupported hardware. So when the "Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT" is deployed, does it add drivers for older unsupported hardware? MSFT is under no obligation to provide legacy drivers on Windows 11 ISOs. It seems like doing a clean install with Windows 11 ISOs, on older hardware, could eventually be risky.