Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Enthousiast, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, it only fools windows setup it is either server (which doesn't check the win 11 requirements) or it disables the checks.

2. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    I have used the kit to fix Windows 11 ISOs, and successfully "upgraded" legacy equipment. It seems to work flawlessly as long as I'm doing an "upgrade." I haven't tried it with a "clean install" on legacy equipment (1st and 2nd gen CPUs). I guess I'm a bit paranoid that the drivers won't be present on the ISO to support very old Windows 7 hardware. I guess I won't know if it works, until I try it.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Old Core2duo systems run it fine from clean installs.

4. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    That is impressive. I guess that I'm paranoid that I will do a Windows 11 upgrade (or clean-install) and suddenly after applying a Windows 11 update, the machine stops working. But I guess that could even happen with Windows 10!

5. Errepublika

Errepublika MDL Senior Member

Aug 18, 2021
    As far as I know, Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT is only to bypass the restrictions of Windows 11, it has nothing to do with Hardware, Drivers or software

6. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    If you're doing a clean install, isn't the Windows ISO also providing drivers, along with the Windows OS and shell? If it's a clean (bare metal) install, the drivers must being coming from somewhere.

7. Errepublika

Errepublika MDL Senior Member

Aug 18, 2021
    Install certain drivers, not like in XP or Windows 7, the rest you have to look for if you don't have them, either from the motherboard manufacturer or through a driver program

8. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    It's a clean install. There's nothing on the drive. The drive may not even be partitioned! So you're installing Windows on a bare drive. Windows is requiring "drivers" for the OS to function. So if it is a legacy system, doesn't Windows 11 install some older drivers on the drive, and then finish the install of the Windows 11 OS and shell?

What I'm hearing is that that Windows 11 has some older drivers on the ISO to support hardware older than 8th gen CPUs. The Windows 11 hardware requirements are a ruse or deception. What else could this mean?

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The native/generic drivers work fine for now and on all old crap i tested it on.

10. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    That's great! So far all is well. I hope MSFT doesn't remove those native/generic drivers from the Windows 11 ISO, otherwise, people could be stuck only doing upgrades instead of clean installs.

11. maxama123

maxama123 MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2009
    They won't. Too risky if they remove generic drivers from win11. Not worth the effort or risk.

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Otherwise, they would have removed the ability to boot from non-UEFI completely, cutting off a lot of old pre-UEFI hardware.

13. W_fantasma

W_fantasma MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Where all this conspiranoic things come from? we all are using win 11 since the first leak without major issues

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    It's not a conspiracy. It's just a matter of curiousity.

Windows 11 currently runs well on legacy hardware. The hardware appears to need to be 64-bit and dual core. Aside from that, it seems to work with the other hardware drivers as well (sound, video, ethernet, etc.).

I'm just curious about whether there will be a day when we install a Windows 11 update, on a legacy machine, and then we get a BSOD because Windows 11 will no longer talk to an existing hardware driver, and we just can't find the updated driver to fix the BSOD problem. Is that when we give-up and buy a newer computer?

15. inTerActionVRI

inTerActionVRI MDL Expert

Sep 23, 2009
    #1115 inTerActionVRI, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    There is a logical flaw in MS thinking regarding hardware requirements for security.

If the user does not have the required hardware, at the moment, much less the purchasing power to buy new hardware.

What makes them think the user will be more secure using an older system (even if it's up to date, each system has its own security holes - but let's assume the new one was designed to be better)? Why not allow the user with hardware, in their eyes considered "obsolete", to at least have a more current system?

Note: Today I migrated from the 19045 to the 22621. It is much more performant than the 19045. The last time I tested it on my everyday machine it had worse performance (this was before the official launch).

To me, that makes no sense. Does it mean that Windows 11 is only secure if it depends on the hardware? Software security, as it always was until Windows 10, had its protection features cut off in some way that wasn't published? kkkkk This MS strategy is complicated. In my view, it's a flawed strategy.

Please what do you think about it? If there is any point of view that breaks with my ignorance about this. Tell me! At first, that's what I think. I am always open to changing my pragmatisms.

16. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    #1116 donmiller, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    When Windows 11 was first released, it seemed like MSFT might be trying to get out of the security business, and they wanted security to be implemented in hardware (i.e. TPM, secureboot, etc.), and not software, particularly Windows. There are a couple of problems with this thinking. Certain parties are notorius for hacking firmware. If you pass through security at a foreign airport, and security asks to inspect your laptop, and they take it away for 15 minutes, then there is the possibility that they will flash your hardware, and your laptop is now hacked. Also, extra chips have been found in computer hardware and discovered to compromise security. The other problem with hardware solutions is that they are less adaptive. Security software can be patched daily, if needed. But are you going to flash firmware each day to accommodate new security risks?

Windows 11 runs faster on my legacy machines. But since they lack the TPM, and secure boot, are they less secure with Windows 11 than with Windows 10 that is also running a good antivirus program?

There seems to be some murky issues about how Windows 11 is being marketed.

When you get one of the following warnings, does it really mean Windows 11 could damage your hardware?

This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for running Windows 11 - these requirements help ensure a more reliable and higher quality experience. Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.

17. l4cky

l4cky MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2010
    i realize this the hard way, is there a way to reinstall all drivers once it is installed, I can't reformat because of some softwares..

whenever i plug any devices, even brothers, and scanners, nothing gets detected in usb

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Premium first-class hogwash bulls**t bingo.

19. donmiller

donmiller MDL Addicted

Jun 4, 2016
    When you get one of the following warnings, does it really mean Windows 11 could damage your hardware?

At this time, it would seem like "Premium first-class hogwash bulls**t bingo."

20. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Unrelated to the subject of this thread, it only skips the checks at setup.