Win 7 -> 10 Do you actually need to install the Win 10 bits to reserve your copy?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Stars, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Stars

Stars MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014
    Win 7 home/pro to Win 10 home/pro.

Do I actually need to install Win10 within the next year to get MS to store my hardwares ID so that I in e.g. 2 years can clean install win 10 on a new blank HD?

Or what part of the upgrade process stores my hardware ID with MS?

Thx all

2. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    You got it exactly right.

You need to upgrade once, so that a specific hardware ID can be created for your machine and is then saved on MS servers.

After that, you can directly format your drive and install a fresh copy without entering a key. After rebooting, your machine is instantly and permanently activated.

3. Stars

Stars MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014
    thx was fearing that but was hoping I didn't have to really install it and then roll back right after that but that is the only way then.

4. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    If you want to keep your current OS for now, get a spare hard disk and install your current OS on it and than upgrade to Windows 10. Rolling back to a previous OS is always a risky procedure.

5. GotItBro

GotItBro MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    I think after a year they will remove the functionality to update to Windows 10 from Windows Update. So, you have the chance to update till 29th July, 2016.