Win. 7 64 bit - Win 7 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by leis, Oct 27, 2012.

1. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    #1 leis, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Hello,
    I have an AMD MoBoard that appears capable of operating/running Windows 7 (Ultimate) 64 bit and would like to learn further if I can install the 64 bit (actually) and what, if anything. it may require in order to install and operate the 64 bit version.

Currently, I have the Ultimate version 32 bit Windows 7. It's fine and if anything, I would like the advantage of the 64 bit processing, etc...

If you have any recommendations or need further information concerning my computer, etc. please let me know. Thanks,
    Leis

-----------
    System: 32 bit OS Win. 7 Ultimate Sp 1
    Memory: 4 GB (G Skill 3.37 GB useable)
    ACPI x86 based PC

7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB
    Cache Sata 3.0 Gb/s 3.5" Intenral HD Bare Drive

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket
    AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor ADO5200DOBOX

Display: ATI Radeon 2100 (M Soft Wddm)

:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    64 Bit Windows will see more than the 3.37 GB of ram 32 Bit has to offer. 64 Bit Windows is much faster than 32 in computing processes. But as I stated, seeing more than 4 GB of ram is the highlight of 64 bit Windows. The only thing you have to really worry about is drivers. 32 bit drivers will not work in 64 bit Windows and visa versa. Some programs may have some compatibility issues but pretty much 99% of 32 bit programs run without a hitch as long as they have the compatible drivers.

3. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    My computer...and the 64 bit Wins. 7....

FFMan,
    THanks for your response and supply of links that reads like a step-by-step process to
    change over from 32 to 64 bit on the Win. 7.

There is a slight problem though, and I failed to include in my computer specs yesterday, when I wrote the thread, that my CPU / processor is made for or can only handle 32 bit. ACPI x86 based-PC .

I may go ahead and take a look at the chipse - the Processor, Cpu, that is, as far as cost, if I wanted to upgrade or change up to the 64 bit.

At the same time, though, I'm not sure if it's necessarily worth it or if to make much difference in overall performance??Because, actually, my computer's running well and the current Win. 7 Ultimate 32 bit (MDL version's) better than the original Win. 7 I initially installed as upgrade from XP, but had major issues with which is then how I found or is what led me to find MDL site. With now the overall improvement's been nice to have windows 7. So, still it's like or now I'm ... kind of on the fence of upgrading and installing new cpu to accommodate, etc...

Either way, Thanks a Lot for your time and knowledge that you shared instantly-like (too).
    I'll, of course, keep the instructs. and look forward to maybe checking back w/you if it turns out that I get the upgrade.

Leis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi,
    I appreciate your reply to my thread and if I understand, do you mean that in running or installing the 64 bit would require additional memory from what I have (now) 3.37 usable?
    Also, I am finding out that the cpu processor can't accmmodate the 64 bit, apparently.

5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #6 steven4554, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Your cpu does support 64-bit OSes, it just that you are running a 32-bit of windows that it will fool you into thinking it's only a x86 cpu. It does that same thing in a 64-bit OS too.

6. debian_llx

debian_llx MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    64 bit system can use the memory above 4Gb, 32 bit system compatible with very good