Win 7 & 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shashikumar bhat, Feb 10, 2014.

1. shashikumar bhat

shashikumar bhat MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2011
    As I am very concerned about the health my win 7 installation I seek your guidance:
    1. If I install 8.1 on my D partition and use KMSpico or Msmg Tk will it mess up my win 7 activation?
    2. Alternatively if I install 8.1 on C after formatting the existing win 7,
    3. And if I am not happy with 8.1 or flagged by updates,
    Can I just format and restore my win 7 installation without wipe? I have backed up my installation with AOMEI Backupper.
    Please advice.

2. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    1. Windows 7 & 8.1 use different and independent activation methods. AFAIK, they won't affect each other.
    2. Sure, if you just want 8.1, I would delete and create a new partition for a clean install.
    3. Yes, but only if you have a "real" backup. If you have backed up with any program but haven't done an actual restore, then, in my opinion, you don't have a "real" backup, you just think you have a backup. Do a real restore first. Unless, of course, you relish that "pit in the stomach" sensation.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You said you have made system backup make sure you also Create Bootable Media with AOMEI Backupper.

4. shashikumar bhat

Jul 13, 2011
    Thank you.
    I have the bootable cd with AOMEI Backupper. But I could not understand "real" backup and I have not restored so far. I have backed up after validation and installation of MSE, IE 11 and updates. And the motherboard drivers. Nothing else. Will there be any problems?.
    I read somewhere that 8.1 is hard coded and processor specific or something and is difficult to uninstall. Please advice.
    KMSpico seems simple and Msmg Tk complicated. Which one should I use?
    Thanks again.
    Regards.

5. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I'm just saying if you do an actual restore, you will know for certain the image is good and you understand all the options available in the procedure. It's a confidence builder knowing you are prepared.

6. Psych0-Smil3s

Psych0-Smil3s MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2014
    There will be no interference with both operating systems being on the same PC Win 7 & 8 will run fine together. I have windows 7 Home Premium x64, Windows 8.1 x64 & Windows Server 2012 R2 w/GUI Full x64 installed on three partitions. With a fourth partition in limbo for whatever i deem necessary at the time my current test has been switching back and forth between Ubuntu and Linux Mint on my 4th partition and so far i have had NO issues. However i will say this boot FROM your main OS each time you intend to install a new OS on a separate hard drive.

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #7 s1ave77, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    NOTE: When installing Win 8/8.1 with an older MS OS (e.g. Win 7) it will be nessessary to set the bootmenupolicy from default to standard.

Due to the new bootloader of Win 8/8.1 the older system will detect errors on startup and perform checkdisk every time :cool2:.

To set to standard (in admin CMD):
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. shashikumar bhat

Jul 13, 2011
    #8 shashikumar bhat, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    (OP)
    Thank you very much. So this is the reason. Let me explain:
    I could not do dual booting because 8.1 disk said "there are 4 or more dynamic volumes. Windows can not install on this partition". So I formatted my C which had win 7 and installed 8.1, activated and it works nicely.
    Now, I have 2 hdds, the other one has win7 32 bit. I have connected both with 8.1 as my main os. I operated win 7 only twice for printing and both times it started checking for errors. Coincidentally, there were power breakdowns both times and I was under the impression the error checking was due to that.
    I am very grateful to you for your suggestion.
    But how do I set to standard? in 8.1, 7 or bios - please explain. In fact I have run cmd for sfc /scannow only twice in win 7 and do not know much about cmd.
    Thank you again.
    regards.

Okay. I did it. Command prompt (admin) in 8.1 and was told 'done successfully'
    Again, A big Thank you.
    Regards.