Win 7 Activation on two identical laptops?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by althetaff, May 16, 2014.

1. althetaff

althetaff MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2008
    Hi Guys,
    I have just installed Win 7 on a Gateway MX8716b laptop. It was an oem license and it activated via phone.
    Now I have another identical laptop. If I use Advanced Token Manager to make a backup of the activation of the first Gateway could I use the same key on the second laptop and activate it using Advanced Token Manager or would one of then activations flag up as an illegal copy.

Regards
    Al

2. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    By license agreement, you can not use the same key for two machines no matter identical or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In reality, it would be illegal to use the same Product Key and Apps on 2 different machines. On the other hand, if the Product Key is from Gateway (in your case) and also the Gateway Cert etc. are installed as well, there'll hardly be an problem. One of my Friends had 3 Laptop, all 3 same model and spec, from which only one had W7 Ultimate and the other 2 W7 Home Basic installed, he added the Cert etc. fram Acer to the 2 and installed Ultimate on them and activate thos 2 also with no problem. Had no any problem later on. So, me think, you could just go ahead and used that as you want!

By the way, there not any identical machines available, Hardware ID's, Serials and more differs in all of them, even if they're the same brand, model and spec!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Thamarai

Thamarai MDL Novice

May 6, 2014
    Once you activated your PC with the key your system will be registered with Microsoft database. If you try to use the same product key on another PC the product key will get blacklisted and you will have to go through lot of Microsoft hassles. Finally you will end up using a crack. Thanks

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't believe it would work, but it might...
    There's something like a 10-point system.
    The MAC address of the first laptop takes 3 points
    The serial of the hard drive takes another point.

Any more than 3 point deduction will invalidate the activation.

In theory, one could simply call the phone activation using "SLUI 4" and activate the second system.
    I'm not saying you should do that, but if you got your mind set on not paying for activation anyway; I don't see what would stop you.

6. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  8. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #8 bludgard, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
    Not an add but Acronis Universal Restore does work. A little fiddling with HAL and one could run the same OS AND apps (not 100% guaranteed) on unlimited machines. I have the service offered in an ad to migrate old systems into new machines.
    Local CL add:
    No sh**....

Can do this at very low cost :)D) by g00gling....

9. althetaff

althetaff MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys.
    There is no slic 2.1 on this gateway. It's running PhoenixBIOS 72.15 and I cannot even find a download of the original bios to request a slic 2.1 for it
    The oem license I used came off an old hp laptop that so the activation was done by phone.

Thank you for your advise and help guys

Al