Win 7 Clean install - format drive and partition query

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by paulbrum, Nov 15, 2009.

1. paulbrum

paulbrum MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    Hi there - I'm running vista Home Premium 64 bit and am going to do a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate.

Reading up, it appears I can format my hard drive and re-partition during install which is what I want to do - wipe the slate clean as it were

I have a 600gb hard drive, partitoned 253 gb (C drive with vista installed) 12gb (D drive for windows swapfile) and 330gb (F drive - primarily for data).

My question is - am I correct in assuming i can reformat the hard drive during install (I have the full install vers of W7) and should I keep the partitions as I created them previously. Do I need the smaller drive for a swapfile?

Help, as always really appreciated.

Paul

2. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Yes Paul, You can Format during the beginning of the windows Installation.
    Just pay attention to what you are formatting.
    :):D

3. KryptiKal

KryptiKal MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    #3 KryptiKal, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    my 2ยข

I'm going to assume you're a Linux guy since you referred to the windows pagefile as "swapfile". Linux just partitions the swapfile separate from everything; that's how Linux does it and it works great for that OS.

I would recommend wiping out the "C" and "D" partitions on your disk then installing 7 in the newly created space.

There is no point to separating your pagefile from your windows partition on the same hard drive. By default your windows install and pagefile are placed in the same partition. By placing them in different partitions on the same physical disk you are likely to get slower performance because the drive has to constantly read and write to distant areas of the drive platter.

The proper way to accomplish what you were trying to do is to actually have another hard drive (the faster, the better) to place your pagefile on; although even doing things that way is shown to only slightly increase performance.

Whatever you decide to do, back up your data before doing anything else.

Good luck!:D

4. paulbrum

paulbrum MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    #4 paulbrum, Nov 15, 2009
    (OP)
    K - thanks for the informative response - is it worth creating a partition - one for windows and associtaed programs - the other for data ?

Can i delete my current partitions during windows install?

Thanks, as always

paul

5. paulbrum

paulbrum MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    see above - edited text

6. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    #6 shakeyplace, Nov 15, 2009
    Yes, repartition and reformat diring install if you so wish, In my opinion the only real advantage to having seperate partitions on the same drive would be for future reformat\install possibilities, and as windows does save all the old data on the partition by default (as long as you don't reformat\partition) that would likely be more an option if you were planning on using a different os in the future or perhaps wanted the data saved on a Fat32 partition to be accessable in Dos. just my 2 cents...

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #7 Rosco, Nov 15, 2009
    Yes and yes.

A seperate partition for data is a great idea - you can shift all your user data except "AppData" anywhere so create a users/username folder on your data partition and move all your data there by opening your username folder on drive C: and right clicking each folder inturn (eg My documents) and choose location form the popup menu press home delete to delete C: and replace with D: (or whatever) and let Windows move all your current data to the new location - this preserves "integrity" in the system and the libraries and other shortcuts etc will automatically adjust to the new settings.

I use a 60 GB system partition which currently has 45 GB free space with loads of programs installed and you can always install to the data partition if you need to.

Don't let anyone tell you not to have a data partition - a second drive is safer - but if your system goes "belly up" for any reason - and Windows systems do sometimes - your data should be safe and you can simply fresh install to the C: partition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. paulbrum

paulbrum MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    All - just to close this out - I have managed to format the drive during installation and created a partition - 200gb for windows and programs and 400gb for data.

Forming partitons was relatively easy, although you have to remember to create the second drive, not just leave it as unused hard drive (I did this 1st time and windows only saw 1 200gb drive). Also remember to highlight where you want windows installed. After a couple of attempts (user error:eek:) I managed to set it up correctly.

Windows automatically adds a small 100mb partiton, i suspect for system files.

Have managed to change the location of the windows libraries from C drive to D drive - that should make aoutsving a lot easier.

All in all pretty easy - I even managed to use the DAZ loader :D which, by the way is ace!

Thanks to all for help

Paul

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007