Win 7 clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jazzman1974, Nov 17, 2009.

1. jazzman1974

jazzman1974 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    Hi All

I have looked through the threads, but cant find an answer to my question.

I have installed Win 7 onto my home PC, but during the process, I couldnt format the hard drive, so ultimately ended up with the windows.old folder.
    I want to clean install Win 7 on a formatted HDD, but I cannot get my version of Win 7 to boot up on computer startup, it will go straight into Windows, even after changing BIOS startup settings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

J

2. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    #2 kukubau, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    next time:

Boot off the Windows 7 DVD amd when ou get to the "Install now" screen run:
    Reburn the DVD using a slower speed, 6x or 8x. Change the boot priority in BIOS, CDROM being the first.

SHIFT+F10 SIMULTANEOUSLY

That will open a dos command prompt window.

You will have something like this:

c:\Windows\System32 or simmilar

run

DISKPART

LIST DISK

this will show your existing harddrives including your flash usb drives

select disk #
    # = the number of the disk the windows 7 partition resides. For example you want to install on the first partition of the first disk (that is DISK 0)

So

SELECT DISK 0

LIST PARTITION - > it will list all your existing partitions on that disk. Partition 1 being the first partition

DETAIL PARTITION->run this just to be sure it is the right one

SELECT PARTITION 1

FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS"

ASSIGN LETTER=C

ACTIVE

Now you can close the dos window and proceed to installing windows 7 using the normal install screen. That is from where you left it, the "Install now" button. Select CUSTOM INSTALL AND THE "WINDOWS" PARTITION!

3. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    @jazzman1974

Did you see this while installing ?

Drive Options(advanced), when you select this you can format the partition!

Attached Files:

• win7.jpg
      win7.jpg
      File size:
      88.6 KB
      Views:
  4. jazzman1974

jazzman1974 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    thanks for the replies.

no, when I get to that part of installation, I dont have the "drive options(advanced)" section. why wouldnt I have this selection?

Cheers
    J

5. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    When you install, you should have a choice of "Express(?)" or "Customer" installation. Go for "Custom" and you should have the options.:D

6. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    By default with express it will upgrade the version of windows that is currently installed (if possible)

If you choose advanced/custom install you will be able to delete the current partitions and start the install. If you do it this way you will end up with the usual 100MB boot partition and the rest for the system one.

If you don't want the 100MB partition then you will have to follow what kukubau said to do in post 2. (basically pre partition your drive)

7. jazzman1974

jazzman1974 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    I've gone through the advanced setup route, but still dont see the "drive selection (advanced)" button.
    I am currently trying to install, whilst in Win 7 already.

I cant boot up too the dvd from turning on the computer, even after changing the BIOS settings. I see a momentary flash statement "boot from dvd" but this soon changes to the bootup of the windows program itself.
    could I be missing a driver or something for my dvd drive for it not too boot up into the disc?

should I try another copy of Win 7?

8. antidotecrk

antidotecrk MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    for one thing you don't need to press shift+f10 simultaneously just press shift first then while holding it press f10. also the installer for Win7 and Vista is fairly straight forward.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    If you do actually see "booting from dvd" and it flashes away and continues booting the hard drive, you can try a few things.

Burn a new copy from a known good ISO file. Test the booting of the ISO file first in a virtual machine to make sure the file can boot before you waste another dvd.

Try taking the hard drive out of the actual boot sequence within the BIOS. This will make it boot from the dvd no matter what (if it is a good iso and burn)

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Did you flash your BIOS with a modified one? - I had problems with the computer BIOS not even recognizing the DVD so could not boot from it obviously but it showed up in Windows - even after a clean install from a USB key - which is something you could also try.

Fixed it by moving the DVD sata cable to another port which forced the BIOS to re-read all devices - You could try this. And I found another BIOS and re-flashed.

And - you need a good DVD as suggested above.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    Did you see "boot from dvd" or "press any key to boot from dvd"?
    Don't you have the option to select the bootmenu?
    Normally on Asus MB this is by pressing F8 while booting.
    Gigabyte uses F12 to select bootmenu

12. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    i know exactly what he meant about the DVD not booting, heck i got my Windows 7 Ultimate X64 from this site and it still wont boot. The only choice i was able to do it with was while on my Vista run it and installed on new partition. No matter how many tried i gave it different programs the DVD still will not boot but my Vista, XP and even 98 disc will boot with no problem.

13. jazzman1974

jazzman1974 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    thanks for all your advise guys

I ended up d/ling another copy from here, and thats worked fine.
    applied the loader and all working fine

thanks for your help and suggestions