Win 7 No Display

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BrianF, Sep 19, 2014.

1. BrianF

BrianF MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    I have an Acer Aspire 4741G. When turned on only dispays flashes of Post Boot & flashes of Win7 booting up successfully. Music, which signals the successful loading of Windows sounds but screen remains blank.

When I attach Monitor via VGA Port. None of the 'boot up' displays, not even flashes, but full display ie. Win7 requesting password appears and is stable.

My first conclusion was that a component in the LCD was suffering heat stroke ie. Working, "Heating up, Dying, Cooling, Working, Heating up-------so on"

After reading posts on this Forum started to think that it could be a corrupt Bios. The result that I'm getting with the VGA attached monitor, I believe doesn't support this.

Any clues??? thank you in ancipitation

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #2 Carlos Detweiller, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Could be the Windows has set up the external source as Primary display. It doesn't seem to recognize correctly if the external device is detached.

-Try to set the internal LCD as Primary display while the external one is attached.
    -Usually there is a hotkey combo with the Fn key, to switch between external and internal display. Try that if you do see a blank screen but hear the startup sound.

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Sounds like either the backlight in the screen is dying (new screen needed), or the inverter that powers the backlight (Small pencil sized circuit board usually under the bottom of the screen) (New inverter needed)

Can you see a faint image of windows on the screen once it has booted and the screen is dark ?

4. Kamrul08

Kamrul08 MDL Member

Dec 28, 2013
    May be graphics card problem.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Unlikely if external monitor is working - reason POST does not display on external is if it's in Extended desktop mode

6. BrianF

BrianF MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    Thanks but no. What is really confusing me at this stage is I am not seeing any of the boot up on the external monitor but get a stable Win7 display on it once Win7 has loaded. If I could see the boot up I would be able to work with bios, USB or DVD loaded programs to test hardware or rebuild bios, which may be the cause of the problem.

7. BrianF

BrianF MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014

Thanks, I think U R right but why can't I see the 'boot up' on external monitor until Win7 is fully booted. If I could would be able to bring up Bios, load some test software etc. eliminating other potential probs before telling my friend to buy new LCD panel or inverter.