win 7 not rebootable

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by stonexu1984, Aug 18, 2010.

1. stonexu1984

stonexu1984 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2010
    #1 stonexu1984, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    I bought the PC parts and just assembled them myself but when I insert the disk contains win 7 x64 downloaded from Repository, it shows

"reboot and select proper boot device
    or insert boot media in selected bootdo device and press a key"

First I thought it sth wrong with my hardware so i go to Bios, the motherboard does detect my CDROM and Hard Drive,

configure SATA as IDE(you can aslo choose RAID, AICH, i don't know the differecen)

primary IDE master : not detected
    primary IDE slave: not detected
    secondary IDE master: CDROM
    secondary IDE slave: not detected
    third IDE master: not detected
    fourth IDE master: Hard Disk

and CDROM is first boot, hard disk second boot. i also checked the wire they are firmly connected.

So is there sth wrong with the win7 disk? I just burned the iso into the DVD room.

my motherboard is EVGA SLI P55

2. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Look at BOOT order in BIOS settings. Or just after you switch it on, you may be able to press a key like ESC to override boot order and select the DVD/CD drive.

3. stonexu1984

stonexu1984 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2010
    boot order is default at DVD first and Hard drive second

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. stonexu1984

stonexu1984 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2010
    u r saying not simply burn the 1 iso file to DVD? instead of, burn the files inside the iso?

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Basically you drag and drop the iso file into your chosen burning program. Then you need to extract the files, once this is done you have a bootable image which you can then burn to disc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    The ISO is a 'container' of sorts--like a Zip or Rar file...but in your case, do not attempt to deconstruct it--you may not end up with a bootable DVD. Use the program to burn it as suggested by urie above and you will be fine.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Easiest way is just open the iso file with your burning program and burn dvd, Do Not Extract it if you extract the files it is not bootable.

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    True enough Urie, although sometimes it is necessary to extract. For instance, i have a win7 reapair disc iso which if i drop into power iso it shows non bootable image, however extract it and oila ... bootable image ready to burn. ;) Not trying to confuse anything here btw ......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #10 WinFLP, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    ImgBurn:
    Write image file to disc.

Works every time. Never had problems with burnt discs not being bootable.

As well ImgBurn is smart and if you try burning an ISO as a lone file on a data disc it will prompt.
    Code:
    ---------------------------
    ImgBurn
    You've only selected 1 file and it looks like it's an image file!

C:\Windows7.iso

You're in 'Build' mode, are you sure you want to create a backup of this image file rather than just burning it normally?

Note: If you want to burn it normally, click 'No', switch to 'Write' mode and then try again.
    Yes   No   

11. stonexu1984

stonexu1984 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2010
    thanks everyone, i used windows 7 usb/dvd download to create a bootable discs, now it's working

12. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Glad you got there in the end. :)