Win 7 on USB drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Q4bert, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Q4bert

Q4bert MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Hello,
    I've just completed my Win7 full intallation on USB drive. It works very well and I'm satisfied with it.

Unfortunately, I've tried some loaders and, since they deal with booting files and configuration, they make my USB installation doesn't start anymore.

Is there any loaders or other patching methods working without manage my booting files?
    :eek:

Thx in advance!

2. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    This is news to me! So we cannot install WIN7 through a usb stick and then use a loader after? If so. That kinda sucks. :(

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    What are you talkin about?

Why woudnt you be able to do that ffs ?
    Its just like installing it using a dvd but now a usbdrive, there is no difference besides the media.......

Install from USBdrive, and do it right this time. you messed up the bootorder in bios.

4. Q4bert

Q4bert MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Pay attention: I'm not talking about "install from USB". I'm talking about boot and run a FULL installation of Win 7 from USB HDD

5. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    If that's the case then there should be no problem's
    the usb hdd drive is just like a normal drive so installing a bootloader should be just the same as it would be on a normal drive
    the problem might be that your system boot file's are on a fixed hdd drive and that you are booting from this to windows 7 on usb hdd

best way of installing win 7 on usb hdd is not to have any fixed hdd drive's in the system and to have bios set to boot from usb only ....

hope that help's

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Well next time say USB Hard drive don't start new thread saying Win 7 on USB drive, then people will know what you mean.

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Exactly... i think you still messed up the mbr..

8. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    That's why I went Enterprise when I installed on USB, then used ZWT KMS.

KMS activation can also be used for Professional edition.

If you have a version less than Professional (like Home premium) you can anytime upgrade to Professional without reinstalling. If you have Ultimate you can only downgrade to Professional by reinstalling or frankendowngrading.

You can also easily reset your rearms (see signature)

Being a USB drive you don't even need to boot off DVD, you can just plug the hard drive into another system, and mount the registry hive from there.

9. Q4bert

Q4bert MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    #11 Q4bert, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    (OP)
    ZWT KMS looks interesting, but I understood that it works only for 180 days.

BTW: have you DiskMod 0.0.2.2 for pagefile activation on USB drive?

10. conqrr

conqrr MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    Can you tell me how you installed win7 to your flash drive?? did you use pwboot??
    btw , i think Removewat will do the trick ...

11. Q4bert

Q4bert MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
  12. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Nothing odd about getting rid of the 100MB system partition. You could make one if you really wanted to.

Yes KMS activation is only good for 180 days, so you'll have to renew it at some point in 180 days. Or You could set it as a hidden startup item and forget about it.

Didn't do anything about the inability to have swap.