Win 7 SLIC removal

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Nytigrnla, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Nytigrnla

Nytigrnla MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011
    I have an ASUS modded bios (SLIC OEM) and my Win7 ulti upgrade to Win10 was no problem and its activated. Question is: can I now upgrade my bios and lose the OEM key without any windows 10 issues? The bios I'm using now is over a year old and a new bios update would fix some issues on my motherboard.

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    So far MS isn't checking for the SLIC in Bios

3. Nytigrnla

Nytigrnla MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011
    Thx!
    Forgot to add if Win10 would lose its OEM Asus branding, I assume it wouldn't.

4. darcy

darcy MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    Hi Nytigrnla,
    I upgraded a slic activated windows 7 to windows 10 and then checked it was activated.
    I then loaded a non slic bios. its is still activated.
    so you should be safe enough to upgrade your bios.
    I am not sure what happens after a clean install (boot from cd) though as I don't have a unique product key
    do you have to have a Microsoft account to get a unique product key? or is there another way? I had hoped to do a fresh install onto a new larger disk but I don't know how without a product key.

5. agent268

agent268 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Updating your BIOS/UEFI shouldn't effect the Hardware ID that was used for Activation of Windows 10. If the Hardware ID of your PC stays the same, then you'll stay Activated and can do a clean install that will activate once inside the OS.

6. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    I have reflashed my bios slic modded with original after win7 --> windows 10 update and reistall it clean without cdkey and successfully activated

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...