Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit Showing 3gb Usable Only

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gc84, Aug 28, 2009.

1. gc84

gc84 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    Hi guys, i just noticed that my system is showing...

Control Panel > System And Security > System > Installed Memory RAM: 4GB (3GB Usable)

The OS is 64-bit, Bios reads as 4GB and i have no option to 'Remap Memory'... my previous setup with Vista 64-bit ran at 4GB!!! I have also tried the Msconfig technique and unchecking the Maximum Memory box to no avail.

Please help!!!

NB i have searched the board already and have found a similar thread topic but with a different situation...

2. torko26

torko26 MDL Senior Member

May 28, 2009
    I've meet this problem earlier !
    Just go to your computer BIOS settings and enable options like "memory" and others

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gc84

gc84 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    i've looked many times already!! cant find anything which i could enable/disable relating to memory!:confused:

4. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    What's your motherboard brand/model? Because some motherboard has only 4GB memory mapping capability.

Also Vista shows 4GB if it's 3.xGB usable, it is the same on Vista 32bit, it shows installed memory not usable memory. The actual way to check usable memory is by going to Performance tab in Task Manager.

That option torko26 is talking about is 'Memory Remapping'. It exists on some board which more than 4GB(8GB or more) memory capability, but doesn't enable it for better compatibility. If your mother board only support 4GB of RAM, there's nothing to solve this problem, and for Vista too.

5. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    According to the Toshiba site the P100-240 uses a Core Duo T2400, which is not a 64-bit capable processor! How are you running 64-bit? Are you sure you have the right model?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. johnnie83

johnnie83 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    No offense, but you installed a 32-bit system. Only that explains the 3Gb limit.

7. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Also, if your laptop model number is correct, then you are using an Intel 945GM chipset. Apparently people have been having issues with a full 4GB of RAM due to memory-mapped I/O issues and whatnot. It seems to be more of a BIOS issue (poor support for the chipset) than an actual limitation. I guess you're stuck due to Toshiba's poor BIOS coding :confused:.

8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I believe the hardware mapping initially is in the 32 bit range (aka 4gb), then when a 64 bit OS is loaded the system allows remapping of the address space. PCI Memory Mapping or Remap or something? I know its an option in some Bioses anyway.

Also it may be as simple as toggling the 'PNP OS' (name may vary) from no to yes or vice versa...

9. gc84

gc84 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    hmmmm still no luck.....

heres a screen print of what shows up (note the 3gb Usable)

1.jpg

However the My Computer at the bottom section reads 4gb

2.jpg

I updated my bios, but it did not got give me the option for memory remapping!!!

please help!!!:)

10. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009