Win 7 vs Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by happyxman, Jun 15, 2021.

1. happyxman

happyxman MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Hello all,

I would like to please you tell me if Win 7 with ESU is as safe as / or safer than Win 10?

And generally is Win 7 better than Win 10?

If it is, then is it better for gaming too?

2. memor86

memor86 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2013
    i've heard win 10 is better for gaming because uses the latest directx software and has better handing of resources. windows 7 is just outdated. i wouldn't use it. i cant really compare because i dont have a gaming rig anymore.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @happyxman
    In answer to your question, I could / would say that the cars of the 1930s were better than they are now (especially in terms of safety) and color TVs had more beautiful and colorful picture than they are today and everything was more beautiful, better and safer than they are today.
    In the old days, everything was more beautiful and better, everything gets worse every day....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Beyond the security patches, an OS is only as safe as the user's habits.

It depends on what you're looking for in an OS. Windows 7 is lighter than Windows 10. At the very least 7 doesn't use storage as much as 10 does. 7 has much less if not 0 bloatware(depends on what you consider bloatware) than 10. 7's interface is much more consistent than 10's, even tho there are still a bunch of inconsistencies.
    If you're not looking for any modern use cases for your PC, windows 7 and the software compatible with it will serve you just fine.

Depends on what you're looking to play. Some very old titles that use deprecated APIs may not run well(or not at all) on windows 10. On the other end for windows 7 - most of the new games are specifically written to run on windows 10(and even then you must be running at least a certain build of windows 10 or newer). The other problem windows 7 will be facing is driver support. Among many manufac's, NVIDIA will be stopping driver support for windows 7 and even 8.1 very soon(only security updates will be available, no performance changes for said OS's). So if you have like a pre-DX12 machine, windows 7 would do fine on it - nice and lightweight OS, still has security updates and doesn't sacrifice hardware capability.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. happyxman

Oct 22, 2020
    Thank you for the reply.
    From new games I would like to play NBA 2K21.
    But could NBA 2K21 run DX-12 on Win 7?

6. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    NBA 2k21 requires windows 7, sandy-bridge platform(10+-years-old) and kepler graphics card(~8-years-old, directx12 at 11_0 feature level, so technically 11). I don't see why you would need windows 10 for it. Now, unless you're 100% sure NBA 2k21 takes advantage of actual DX12, windows 7 will do just fine.

7. happyxman

Oct 22, 2020
    Thank you very very much!

8. iceboy

iceboy MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2021
    Because we spend 10 years to tune one game, and we don't want the operating system to become a changing variable. I don't install all updates for win7, and disables IPv6 so that the NAT router becomes a firewall.

Because we tested win10 when few people knew it and learnt that new things are often bad, just like I was super fan of LED 20 years ago and now use halogen bulb for lighting. I also periodically revisit the newer revisions of win10, like the 20H2 is much better but still worse than win7. Probably testing win11 soon.

9. ma.prezentalok

ma.prezentalok MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Love the "outdated" arguments. I bet that the source code is like 90%+ same (therefore same vulnerabilities) since Vista. That means after ridding a lot of bloat and improving performace after vista, they successfully added a lot of bloat + unnecessary "features" after win7, such as winrt apis+ "apps", useless ms store to be able to play mobile games on your pc instead of your phone, telemetry, and a lot of other services. For me win8/10 windows are very plain-ugly-white, win7 is more easy on the eyes (light grey). Ms added simd instuction support since win8, the only thing that made windows 8 faster a bit + hibernating the kernel for faster startup speed for shutdown. Most optimizations are just hacks with a tradeoff and more complicated code, just like vista-win7 prefetch/ram-preloading (totally useless with 32gb ram + ssd), no new bootable filesystem but fancy new dx12 for gamers. Besides the disgusting ui, Win10 home users also have to fight with untested system breaking updates, as there is no QA team testing them anymore. Of course its free to update even for pirated copies, its that s**t, but at least they are honest about it this time.

Hell, knowing Microsofts' history, sometimes I wonder whether they purposefully create new exploitable vulnerabilies for windows via security updates to fix an older vulnerability so they could spread FUD about EOL. Code viewed this much can not be that s**t.

10. Wong Ting Lun

Wong Ting Lun MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2020
    #10 Wong Ting Lun, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    3rd-Party Antivirus/Firewall software still protecting Win7, Win7 EOL & Win7 ESU not sale for home users is not the secure problem. M$ want everyone forget 3rd-Party Antivirus/Firewall software can protect system without security updates.

Some DX12 game can play on Win7 by VKD3D-PROTON & DXVK or D3D12ON7.

11. TURTLESHROOM

TURTLESHROOM MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2021
    Even though "Windows VII" is no longer supported, if you fully upgrade your PC with what exists, and install the latest, newest antivirus software, you will be okay if you are responsible on the Internet. Make sure the "Windows Firewall" is enabled. If you are still worried, use an All-In-One security hub between you and your router.

12. TURTLESHROOM

TURTLESHROOM MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2021
    I hate the "Windows X" OS. It is slow, it freezes all the time, it is convoluted (especially on its Control Panel), it forces updates, and it deleted the Windows Classic Theme that I love so much. "Windows XI" almost made me cry, quite frankly, because it was not only ugly, but it had rounded corners and it centered the Start Menu. It was too sleek, too minimalistic, and native Android App support was the only thing that looked good to me. It was like it was trying to copy Apple's look without the Macintosh's flaws.