Win 7 x64 slow when using utorrent

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by VaNiaL, Oct 19, 2009.

1. VaNiaL

VaNiaL MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    Hello
    So as the thread says my computer becomes very slow and unstable when Iam using utorrent. I have checked the utorrent process and it showes around 5-10% cpu. The problem is only when i start downloading not when all torrent files are stopped. Can it be something with the Harddrive? Please help this doesnt happen to my laptop running win 7.

Sys spec:
    Win 7 RTM x64
    500 GB W&D 7200RPM
    AMD x2 6400+ 3,1GHz
    MSI k9N Sli (with new chipset drivers installed)

2. Hans2009

Hans2009 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    reduce your upload limit

3. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    plus 1 on reduce upload limit...
    i had same situation. Reduced upload all is fine. Its not your connection but pc it self. cause when mine did it the other 2 pcs i have didnt slow at all...only the one with utorrent running.

4. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    Just wait until you move a mkv with it running with the copy to folder command eats all your ram and I have6 gigs this happen in vista to utorrent has a mem leak x86 x64 both

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    uTorrent's improper opening/closing of "Explorer.exe" processes also proves very annoying. I wrestled with that and just ended up never clicking "Open Containing Folder" to get around it.

- - - - -

@VaNiaL - In terms of Internet lag, ,my uTorrent has 14 queued torrents, with one running. I download 1 torrent at a time, with Download set to 2/3rds of my max, and Upload set to just 1kb. Once it's fully downloaded, I set the Upload to 2/3rds of my max, and let it run until I reach a 1:1 ratio. If you run any torrent with uncapped Download/Upload, expect your internet to crawl or even freeze at times.

As for actual system lag, how many torrents are actually running within uTorrent at any given moment? 5-10% cpu? On an AMD Duel-Core 3.1ghz? :eek:
    That sounds fishy to me. Are you using an "onboard" network card, or a physical Network Card that takes up a PCI slot? Onboard network cards can have a number of issues, from poor drivers, to slowdowns due to heat issues on the motherboard.

Update your Network Card drivers, throttle down uTorrent to bare minmum Download/Upload speeds, and run 1 torrent at a time. If that solves your problem, slowly increase your Download/Upload, but still keep just 1 torrent running at a time, and Queue the rest to run later. Any more than that and you will have increased HDD accesses, which could indirectly lead to additional CPU usage, and thus the lag you talked about. As others here pointed out, uTorrent is nice, but it does tend to leak memory all over the carpet at times....:p

Hope all goes well for ya. :)

--DKnight

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Only problem I've had with uTorrent in relation to Explorer is when I'm downloading a batch of comics (like the near weekly DCP/Minutemen releases) and just want a couple...
    I ctrl+A to highlight all files, set them to skip, click a file and right click a file and choose "Open Contianing Folder"
    Sometimes I'm too fast and it doesn't deselect before opening the folder for EACH AND EVERY comic :(
    I wind up with 70~120 Explorer processes trying to open, each one using 1% CPU and my computer grinds to a halt.

7. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    I have the same problem on Windows 7 x86, the pc starts to lag like hell when the upload or download speed gets over 6 - 7 Mb/s

8. VaNiaL

VaNiaL MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    #9 VaNiaL, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
    (OP)
    My upload speed is limited to 20 kb/s(i have 1mbit up and 24 mbit down). When i raise the download limit the cpu usage goes up as i raise it. It´s not the utorrent process that´s is taking the cpu it´s something else.
    Screenshot below.

@DKnight2066 - Iam using the onboard network card with latest drivers. The problem is that about a month or so this didn´t happen. And i havent made any changes really.

Attached Files:

9. DKnight2066

Jul 19, 2009
    #10 DKnight2066, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    @ VaNiaL - That's alright. I'm currently using an onboard network card....on an ASUS mobo, so my general feeling is to encourage others to use a physical card, or update their drivers if at all possible. :p

Just started a month ago? You mentioned not making any changes recently, but has Windows Update been downloading/installing Updates in the background during this time? Also, do you have any Antivirus or Firewall software installed? Any of those three, in theory, could be refusing to play nicely with uTorrent. (or the other way round)

--DKnight

EDIT: Well from that screenshot, I see ESET running, but it's not chewing up any CPU. Something was wonky about that screenshot though. uTorrent was taking 9% CPU, yet at the bottom it says 48% CPU usage? o_O That process window wasn't maximized, so I couldn't see all the processes running, but you had that list sorted by CPU usage, so I have no clue why we're going from 12% CPU used from actual processes (taskmanager/utorrent), to 48% total, which is listed at the bottom.
    Then again, 42 processes running? Thats, abit high for my tastes. I'm sitting on 25 with Firefox and JDownloader running. I have an ATI card as well, but I kill "CCC.exe" and "MOM.exe". Just hogs, which I can keep from running without negative results. "Atiesrxx.exe", that's another one windows dumped on me after I ran Windows Update. Again, I killed it and had no ill effects. The rest of the stuff on that list are probably just programs you use regularly, such as the Apple stuff for an IPod or something. If it were me troubleshooting, I'd try disabling as much of that 3rd party stuff as you can, then rebooting and seeing if that does anything for uTorrent's CPU usage, and system lag in general.

10. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    whats sad, is uTorrent only does this on Vista/Server 2008 & Windows7/Server 2008 R2

With XP, you can run as many effin torrents as you want with no problems.

It has nothing to do with drivers or anything else you people are mentioning. Its purely the network stack, and always has been. MS f*cked it up, in case everyone forgot.

11. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #12 twiz, Oct 20, 2009
    Don't mix bytes and bits.
    24megabits = 3,084kilobyts/s or 3MB/s download
    1megabits = 128kilobyts/s upload

8 bits in a byte.. so: bits /8 = bytes, bytes * 8 = bits
    Each size is a multiple of 1024... so: 3MB * 1024 = 3084KB, 2048MB / 1024 = 2GB

1GB = 1 gigabyte
    1GB = 1,024 megabytes
    1GB = 1,048,567 kilobytes
    1GB = 1,703,741,824 bytes

Because for some reason, the total CPU use isn't "live", it's delayed by a few seconds.
    You can see this for yourself by opening Task Manager, Options -> Minimize on Use. Look at the bottom where it says "CPU Usage: ##%", then minimizing task manager to your tray, recalling where the text was.
    Let the Task Manager monitor in the tray go to 0, then double click the icon and look to where you see the CPU usage. It will be about 0~4%, then jump up to ~15% for a second (that's the CPU power it took to bring the Taskmanager out of minimize), then drop back down.

12. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Hmmm, I have been using utorrent the past few months on Windows 7 x86 without any of the above mentioned problems....maybe because I am using cFosSpeed to manage my download and upload speed.:p

13. DKnight2066

Jul 19, 2009
    #14 DKnight2066, Oct 20, 2009
    Oh I'm not ruling out that Windows 7 is causing this on one level or another. It's just my practice to try and troubleshoot the problem in whatever way I can, then after I've exhausted all my options, wait around for a Windows Update.

If it is simply a glitch in Windows 7 code, or uTorrent code, then yes, we will all have to wait for one or the other to be patched, and hope said patch fixes these issues for x64 users. Until then, I occupy my time troubleshooting in whatever way I can. If I end up learning more about Windows 7 along the way, then to me it wasn't a wasted effort. :)

--DKnight

EDIT:
    @Twiz - Yeah, that makes sense. I knew something wonky was happening, but I wasn't sure what exactly. Thanks for the info.