win 8.1 install issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Pasta88, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    installing 8.1 on my pc and i am at the point where it says copying windows files (0%). It is at that point for 10 mins. Is that normal? if not, what could be causing it?

thx

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    bad hardware?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. =)(=

=)(= Guest

Did you not have this issue with Windows 8?

4. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I will say this use to be a dual boot pc of 7 and 8.1 so i had to change bios around to get both on there i think it had legacy option or something like that. Should i reset bios to default and see if that solves it and then install again?

It's been 20 mins and nothing yet. Should i wait an hour before doing anything? plz help.

thx

ps.. I will say this use to be a dual boot pc of 7 and 8.1 so i had to change bios around to get both on there i think it had legacy option or something like that. Should i reset bios to default and see if that solves it and then install again?

It's been 20 mins and nothing yet. Should i wait an hour before doing anything? plz help.

thx

PS. bios looks something like this:

---> UEFI boot sources
    -----------usb floppy/cd
    -----------usb hard drive
    -----------ATAPI CD-ROM
    .......Legacy boot sources
    --------ATAPi cd-rom
    --------USB FLOPPY/CD
    -----------ATAPI cd-rom
    -----hard drive
    -----------sata1
    -----Network controller (atheros boot agent)

Do i need to restore BIOS? Could that be the issue?

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    try loading setup default in BIOS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    PS. bios looks something like this:

---> UEFI boot sources
    -----------usb floppy/cd
    -----------usb hard drive
    -----------ATAPI CD-ROM
    --------ATAPi cd-rom
    --------USB FLOPPY/CD
    -----------ATAPI cd-rom
    -----hard drive
    -----------sata1

which one should i point it to boot from plz?

if i select boot from default should bios still look like this or different?

7. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #7 Pasta88, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    (OP)
    things i have tried:

Right now when there is no DVD in my drive and there is no OS on my system my bios looks like the following:

---> UEFI boot sources
    --------ATAPi cd-rom
    --------USB FLOPPY/CD
    -----------ATAPI cd-rom
    -----hard drive
    -----------sata1

When I put win 8.1 install cd I get:

---> UEFI boot sources
    -----------uefi: hp dvd a dh16absh
    --------ATAPi cd-rom
    --------USB FLOPPY/CD
    -----------ATAPI cd-rom
    -----hard drive
    -----------sata1

When I try an install win 8.1 without any BIOS changes i get to the point where it says "copying windows files (0%)".
    It stays that way for an hour without getting to 1%. Usually when i install this OS it goes to 1% almost instantly.
    When I select "uefi: hp a dh16absh" it will do the same thing.

When i select uefi and hit esc to boot using defaults it stays at 0% without any incriments. Which i assume is ignoring using esc to boot to defaults.

When i select ATAPi cd-rom and select the partition i want to put OS on it says "windows can not be installed to the disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Plz help. thx

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I've never seen that before. Are you using an unmodified MSDN iso?
    What is your install media on? dvd disc? usb drive?
    What program did you use?

9. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    ok lets try this again, the correct key to change boot order is f10, when i hit that i get a menu of storage>boot order and i hit enter. i have the options of the following:

uefi: boot soueces
    usb floppy/cd
    usb hard drive
    atapi cd-rom
    legacy boot devices
    atapi cd-rom
    usb floppy/cd
    hard drive
    sata1
    network controller (atheros boot agent)

when i select uefi>atapi cd rom and select f10 accept and then file, save changes and exit and enter. The boot up and enter the product key and hit next,
    accept license terms, hit next, select "custom: install windows only (advanced), select the partition i created for windows 8.1 pro and select next and it sits there at 0% without increments.

when i select legacy boot devices>atapi cd rom and select f10 accept and then file, save changes and exit and enter. The boot up and enter the product key and hit next,
    accept license terms, hit next, select "custom: install windows only (advanced), select the partition i created for windows 8.1 pro and select next and it sits there at 0% without increments.

10. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009

dvd................................................

11. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    i imaged my PC 02/26/14. since then i had to replace my keyboard on this pc. I just restored my pc using acronis true image from that date. when my PC boots up it asks me to choose your keyboard layout with options usa, arabian, arabic 101 or 102 or 103, armenian and a few more "a" options. I click on usa and then it says choose an option of

continue (exit and continue to win 8.1)
    use a device (use a usb drive, network connection, or windows recovery cd)
    troubleshoot (refresh or reset your pc, or use advanced tools)
    turn off your pc

i select continue and it reboots. window pops up and says PC ran into a problem and needs to reboot and keeps on repeating these steps. what do u recommend i try next. Should i put the keyboard that has a problem back on it and restore it again or would u do something else. Please advise me.

thx

12. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    i did a fresh install of 8.1 in sept but something happened to it and after going through all of the above i am now at the point where i said in my previous post of refreshing at 95%. if it is still at that point after an hour, what should i do next plz?

After an hour i rebooted it coz it was stuck there. This time i tried to reset while deleting my programs and apps setting it back to default. Was running fine until 97% and is stuck there again.

What could be causing this? Is there anything else i can do?

thx

13. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    As Paul said, it sounds like hardware. If this happened to me, I would delete the partitions on the HD and reinstall Windows on a clean disk. If that doesn't work, then you definitely have a hardware problem, most likely a problem with the HD but it could be other hardware items.

14. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    was HD........
    thx