Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Weird Mouse Lag in Games

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dback, Sep 27, 2013.

1. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Hey, installed Windows 8.1, but everytime i want to play Call of Duty 4 i have some weird Mouse Lag on specific spots.
    I have constant 250 FPS but on some spots i have mouse lag(but my FPS stays @ 250FPS)

I have the latest Driver Version(13.9) for my AMD graphics card installed and my mouse is a MadCatz R.A.T. 3.

Can someone help me to fix this? =/

My System Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
    Sapphire HD 5670 1GB
    4GB Ram

2. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Try another mouse with a known good 8.1 driver to see if that is the issue or else just find a mouse driver from august or sept

Could also be other background processes perhaps...

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    That's no way to look at the problem. Try plugging it into a usb 2.0 drive if its on your motherboard. Next got for the beta of the amd 13.10 beta gfx driver.

4. mydigitaldesktop

Sep 18, 2013
    ?

He upgrades to 8.1 and gets great frame rate but notices the mouse is wonky

Most likely the mouse driver but of course lots of other possibilities.

Mouse manufacturers have a rather spotty record on updating their drivers so I suggested trying a known good driver/mouse combo as a basemark unless he gets lucky and there is a shiney new Mad Catz 8.1 mouse driver just waiting for him...

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I suggested switching the ports as Microsoft's Usb 3.0 drivers are poor to terrible.

Thats the only reason why lol.

6. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I have the same problem. It only happens on 8.1.

It's really noticeable on Minecraft - It feels like FPS determines the mouse sensitivity.

I have a feeling its a bug of the new DPI feature or WDM 1.3 or whatever the new manager is.

NVIDIA GTX 560 TI

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Well, I don't have USB 3.0 Ports and I don't have mouse which already has Windows 8.1 drivers available. =/
    I will try the AMD beta drivers and my Roccat Pyra and see if it will help =)

btw I also tried the Windows 7/8 drivers for my R.A.T, but this didn't work =/

8. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    hm still doesn't work =/

9. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    I have a similar problem. The mouse is really slow and laggy when gaming in 8.1. I have tried multiple AMD drivers (13.8, 13.9, 13.10) but it doesn't help. I always have my mouse plugged into USB 2.0.
    Mouse is Logitech G400. I never use mouse drivers.

10. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
  11. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    The 'CPL mouse fix' has been outdated for like 8 years.

It doesn't matter if you apply it or not though, that's not the issue.

12. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    Why can't most people just stfu?
    Updating drivers, CPL mousefix (indeed, it's outdated since XP) etc.
    That's not helpful, that is just throwing in random words into a discussion which somebody heard sometime.
    It's like the famous "If the application doesn't work, reinstall application." (After fresh install ofc, even better after clean windows install, this gotta be the worst tip ever)- Okay, sorry. I have anger management issues. :D

Point is, MarkC (MarkC Mousefix, which is the only mousefix someone should use on newer systems and even then it works only for applications that are accessing the registry values of the mouse, like that what has been set in the mouse control panel. Which should be 6/11 always, but that's another point.) - is saying that "Windows 8.1 Preview seems to have a big delay between DirectInput seeing mouse movement and Windows moving the pointer.
    He was able to see that, because he was working with his tool MouseMovementRecorder to see how a mouse do react with acceleration and so on.
    He was able to "fix" this only, by fixing his own application. It's much more a workaround for him. So the next point due to that is either the developer of your game / program could / should fix this, which could basiclly never happen in some cases or Microsoft itself, which are basically the idiots here to screw a system up which is basically the system for games at all. If this is what Microsoft wants then no problem, you won't believe how many gamers would change to SteamOS as soon as it's competitive and that can be way sooner than we thought.

But again, not the point. I was able to fix the behaviour only in source-engine games (like the new ones, or at least those with a m_rawinput option, which should be set to 0 in this cases. But even then, the behaviour of the speed was different to 8, 7 etc.) - i don't know if CoD has some option like this, because i don't play such dumbass games and supporting the devs for it's yearly same old stuff bulls**t, played by kiddies all over the world. :p

13. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
  14. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Well, I only play CoD4, so i don't really support them =)
    But this is off-topic >.>

I already tried the MarkC Mouse fix like 5 times, it doesn't work for me. =/

15. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
  16. mydigitaldesktop

Sep 18, 2013
    The OP describes a problem with mouse on 8.1 RTM not 8.1 Preview

Since the problem is still not fixed, you or anyone else does not yet know where the problem is exactly or how to fix it.

Stating that updating drivers on a major O/S update is not helpful is giving very misleading, incorrect, irresponsible advice.

For your post, I wish I could learn how to have anger management issues!

17. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    I like to help if I'm able to and have the time, but as most of us here, I don't know everything either.

:)

18. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    enable V-Sync in the game options.

19. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    #20 sunesio, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    No matter what you are all saying, it is the fault of Windows, so there will be no real solution. There is a delay! No matter if 8.1 Preview or RTM.
    I had some serious mouse stutter on sourcegames before setting m_rawinput to 0, but that has nothing to do with the delay or how 8.1 polls the mouse.
    And if someone doesn't recognize it, it's the same old stuff like with 60hz screens vs 120hz screens. Too many people doesn't see it.
    I was playing competitive for many years, many years ago, not really unsuccessful and you can believe me if i say, that i feel a lot of differences.
    And i was only saying that not everything can be fixed by updating a driver. Especially in this case.
    I think it has something to do with the USB ports / drivers by Microsoft itself, i don't know for sure. Maybe WDDM 1.3?
    I just know that Microsoft was screwing around with the USB ports with since Windows 8, as for instance a USB microphone is way too quiet in comparison to Windows 7, but since that's not much of a problem for majority they don't care.
    Also the default mousedriver is also fine in most cases and should only be replaced if you don't get access to macro functions and in case you'll want these. No drivers are recommended, still. And you don't want to play with insanely high dpi and low sensitivity ingame, because that'll only lead to side-effects like negative acceleration, no matter the mouse / drivers.